24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Gauges-Which ones? How?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges-Which ones? How?

Hi!

Ok, I'm going to be hauling with my '99 5.9L. I've learned enough to know that I need to watch my EGT's, my fuel pressure, and my tranny temps. My question here is: How? And is there anything else I should monitor?

Do I go get an Edge, Bully Dog, Quadzilla or something so I can monitor it all? Or just got with an A pillar with 3 guages? It's crazy to ask, but here it is: Get a computer or go with A pillar with gauges? Which one do you recommend and why?

I will haul a trailer with equipment on it. I don't plan on tricking this out like crazy, but would like a little better performance. I want to stay safe and not be working on the truck all the time.

I'm working on compiling the info on where and how to put in the sensors, but any help on this is GREATLY appreciated. I may have missed it, but figured there would be a sticky on this very subject and how to do it.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Types of gauges and placement are a very personal decision.
some like the programer/gauge combos, others like digital readouts, us "old-School" types prefer analog/needle guages.
Some like the A-pillar for a mounting location, others the dash, or the top of the steering column.
You'll get as many opinions as you get replies........

I went with 4 analog gauges. Pyro(EGTs), Boost, Auto Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and mounted them on top oif the dash.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, Shovelhead, that post was more helpful than you may have realized.

I like your gauges and I tend to prefer a dedicated gauge and an analog one at that. I'm not crazy about the cluster in the middle of the dash, so that's a good thing I just learned.

Looks like I lean more to an A-pillar setup (do they have the 4 gauge cluster?) or else a cleaner consolidated screen to display everything. I guess I need to try and find someplace where I can look this over in person.

But I need:
Transmission Temp (measured from cooler line running from trans to cooler)
Boost - No idea how to set this up
EGT(or pyrometer)
Fuel Pressure

May I ask you, about how much $$ did it take to get this all in your truck? Self install or hired?

Thanks so much!!
Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
My gauges were self installed waaay back in 2000.
I chose the dash location as it doesn't require me to take my eyes off the road as much and focus on something so close to my eyes, then back to the road like an A-pillar mount. Like I said, it's a very personal thing.

Gauge prices have fluctuated a bunch since I bought mine.
Mine are all Isspro EV gauges.