24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fueling Problem at Start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fueling Problem at Start?

Recently my truck will not start sometimes and I am out of ideas as to why. Sometimes it will start the first time I crank it, and other times it won't start for ten minutes. Also sometimes when it won't start I turn the key on and off a few times then it cranks right up. I have had it turn on in the drive way for a second then cut off. I put in a new crankshaft position sensor yesterday and that didn't do the trick. I've been told my truck doesn't have a fuel solenoid, so I don't really understand how the fuel gets told to be sent and then shut off. I'm sure it is some electrical problem where fuel is not getting sent because it cranks without any problem but won't fire sometimes. I am all out of ideas so any help is greatly appreciated! The adrenaline is not on the truck right now.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If so what's your fuel pressure?... If not I would get one!

If its not throwing any codes, first I would suggest looking at the entire fuel system to make sure there isn't a place that air is entering the fuel causing the hard starting.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Yep, could be a loss of prime, would explain why it starts after bumping the key a few times ( reprimes ).

Fuel pressure gauge is the first step.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my truck has had this problem ever since I had the engine ecm replaced and the dealer did the "software update" which aparently changed how the lift pump operates at start up

my truck used to fire right off with almost no cranking also the lp used to run for a long time when the key was turnred to the on position and prime the injector pump

ever since the update turn the key forward and there is no pressure since the lp runs for afraction of a second wait for the light to go out and start cranking till it runs, if I bump the key the pump will run like it used to just don't like to do that

all I see this update doing is wear out my starter faster, this update was done 4+ years ago