24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Presure

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Presure

is there anyway to check the presures without putting on a gauge in the trucK? and if not how do you install the gauge?
Old 05-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Fuel Presure

You can use a temporary test gauge to check your fuel pressure. You can actually make one with a pressure gauge that you can attach enough hose to, in order to tape it to the windshield and go for a test drive. Originally, I made one out of a pressure gauge that came off a low pressure air line application (0-30psi) and a couple of barbed fittings to connect the hose from the gauge to the ports on the fuel filter. I now have a Westach fuel pressure gauge mounted in the dash which reads post-filter pressure, so I can keep an eye on it and a mechanical gauge which is mounted under the hood to read Pre-filter pressure, so I can see the pressure drop across the filter at idle, which shows me how restricted my filter is.
Pre-filter port will give you the reading between the lift pump and the filter.
Post-filter port will give you the reading between the filter and the VP-44 injection pump. The post-filter reading is the one that you should be the most concerned about because this is the pressure that your $1800.00 VP-44 is getting and I had a tech tell me that anything under 10psi @ idle is not good. I had my lift pump replaced under the 5year/100k warranty because it was reading 9psi @ idle and if it had not been for me having the gauge, I would not have known it was going bad.
IMO,,,,,,,,, NO 24valve truck should be without a fuel pressure gauge or at the very least, checked very regularly.
BTW,,,,,,,,,,, I barrowed one of your pictures to draw on Ed,,,,,,,,,,, hope ya don't mind! ;D This pic shows the pre-filter port bieng used, but it will have a plug in it just like the post-filter port does on a stock truck. Ed told me he is going to hook both to his gauge as soon as he gets another sender. ---------->Have ya done that yet Ed? :
Old 05-05-2003, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Fuel Presure

Wow! I am impressed Dennis.<br><br>You got up early today!!! <br><br>Yes he is right on with the info.