24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel injection pump or....?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel injection pump or....?

After two lift pump replacements (OEM) I installed a FASS lift pump several years ago, which seems to have performed well. Last week, I started up, headed out, realized I had forgotten something at home, so turned around and parked at the bottom of our driveway. Walked to the house, got whatever, came back and started up. The truck started chugging and gagging (in park) and so I shut it off. Started it up again and it had a small cough or two then smoothed out. I backed up so I could open our gate, then drove up our hilly driveway to the house without a sputter. However, I didn't want to go off in the truck and get stuck somewhere with a breakdown.

My BHAF is in bad need of cleaning so I will do that ASAP. We did have the fuel injection pump go out around maybe 100k miles, and that was similar except we were driving up a windy road when it happened and it bogged down, chugged and bucked and the truck wouldn't drive. We're at about 180k miles now.

I put the code reader on it and got nothing. I had also recently replaced the fuel filter, so not due to a dirty filter.

Any ideas? If I took it to a mechanic while it is behaving normally, would they be able to do any troubleshooting/testing to see if the injection pump is sick?

1999 2500 Quad Cab LB 4X4
Old 04-08-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
What is/was your fuel pressure at the time? Hows your fuel filter? Also look into fuel drain back.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your fass could be going south mine did twice it was replaced under warranty!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by cougar
What is/was your fuel pressure at the time? Hows your fuel filter? Also look into fuel drain back.
I have a fuel pressure gauge which has quit working, so I've got to figure out why. I don't have a tester. Is there one that I can buy that can be used to test pressure at both the lift pump and the injection pump? Sorry, stupid girl questions LOL! I've borrowed one from a friend in the past but now live 4 hours away from that friend, so time to invest...
Old 04-08-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Knowing the fuel pressure at ALL TIMES is very important but if you've plumbed out the factory fuel pressure test ports then you have no way to check without disassembling things. And that wont help this very moment.

How much fuel was in the tank? Maybe you do have a leak in the fuel system somewhere are that few moments it took you to come back to the truck caused a small loss of system prime. Or.....it could have just been a glitch. Dont ever rule out the strange and weird. Sometimes when something odd happens you just have to wait and see it if happens again and then try to assess what variables were taking place at that time to potentially cause the issue.

Dont take it to a mechanic because unless they're the supreme genius geek about the Dodge Cummins, they're simply going to hook up a scanner, find nothing and charge you a diagnostic fee.

But, go fix that fuel pressure gauge right NOW.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:08 PM

KATOOM, thank you - I'm on it!