24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Gauge Sender

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuel Gauge Sender

Over that last 2 months I have been reading about how to fix my fuel gauge on my 02 24v, even got a part number from infidel, got the part at cost...went to install it today and its the wrong part...the one i have is shown in all the DIY, and FAQ instructions with pictures...but the one on my truck is half the size and a totally different design, i have no clue how to fix it and just wasted all morning taking the bed off my truck

i have no idea what to do...
Old 02-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Banned

okay well after making 8 calls to dealerships...i had to drive over an hour away to get the right part, spend an extra $60...to go home and install it...finding out its not the problem, the send was good the whole time...my issue lies somewhere between the sender and the guage...the fuse is good, the sender is putting out the right resistance...

right now I dont have a clue

on a side note, i fixed an exhaust leak, changed the oil, and put on some brake pads
Old 02-05-2005, 05:58 PM

weird...

Ive never had a problem with my guage.....do you fill up with the big hoses at the truck stops?
Old 02-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Banned

nope...use royal farms and sheetz normal car size pumps, its nothing to do with the tank now, its somewhere in the wiring between the sender and the dash
Old 02-05-2005, 06:51 PM

what problem are you having exactly? mine works 99% of the time but when it gets below 3/4 tank it drops empty when idling and pops right back to normal when the truck is moving. I really cant put my finger on why it does this. I have made it somewhat better be slightly rotating the pickup assembly. maybe this helps.

jed
Old 02-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Banned

i have nothing...for 3 months ive been reading empty...ran out of fuel once on a bad estimation of mileage

today while messing with the sender, fuses, everything i can think of...i had to go back and forth between 100% full and completely empty...i just dont get it
Old 02-06-2005, 12:33 AM

Check for signal at the tank sender plug. Find the guage wire in the plug and ground it there to check the wires and the guage. It should go full and empty when grounding the wire and ungrounding the wire. If it works there, the problem would be in the connector plug. The plastic locks are easy to break and sometimes hard to lock and will cause your problem. Also check the wire harness along the frame for damage.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry about the wrong number, there must have been a change somewhere I wasn't aware of. I've heard of a few cases where the problem is a bad PCM. Hope yours is just a wiring problem. This is where the factory service manual is indispensable, it will show you all the connectors and their locations along the entire wiring route.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:50 AM
Banned

no need to apologize Bill, i was suprised to find the wrong part as well...I will however get that new part number up when I go out to the truck this morning to get the invoice. The new design however seems to be a little better as far as the contact coming loose or anything, there will be no replacing the pivot point on this style.

either way i got to fix a couple other things, and will eventually get it taken care of.

I used a multi-meter and pierced each of the 4 wires that go into the plug that connects to the sending unit...there is no signal coming from the harness to that connection. My next step is to find a shop manual, i have small version that has some wiring schematics etc, but it doesnt tell exactly where each connection is and what it is for. Where can I find the big shop manual?
Old 02-06-2005, 02:05 PM

Have you tested the instrument cluster using the trucks self test. You hold down the odometer/trip switch, turn key to battery and when the word check comes up in the odometer you release switch and then the instrument cluster goes through a self-test.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by getblown5.9
Where can I find the big shop manual?
http://www.techauthority.daimlerchrysler.com/
expendsive but worth it at twice the price, your first repair will pay for it.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Banned

i know the guage itself works, playing around with the sender plug, grounding multi meter to it and stuff i can get it to go back and forth between full and empty, so i know the full sweep of the gauge works...it just doesnt read the level of fuel and register it on the gauge
Old 02-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Banned

that part number for my 02...is a 489766AB I believe...

i also have the old style that infidel lists for the early 24v, and 12v trucks...ratehr than drive 2 hours to take that one back, ill just list it on here for sael in the classifieds...im sure someone wants to save a few bucks and buy this thing off me...it has never even been touched by diesel fuel
Old 02-08-2005, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by getblown5.9
i know the guage itself works, playing around with the sender plug, grounding multi meter to it and stuff i can get it to go back and forth between full and empty, so i know the full sweep of the gauge works...it just doesnt read the level of fuel and register it on the gauge
if you can make the gauge travel through its full range at the sending unit plug there is nothing wrong with the gauge and the wire. its either a sending unit or ground problem at the sender.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

there is nothing wrong with the sender it puts out the proper resitance when holding the float at full, empty and anywhere in between. I tested the 4 wires that go into the plug which connects to the sender with a test light and there is no signal in each of the 4 wires there

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Sender