24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Commatoze
Ooooo, man, that's livin' on the edge! When it starts missing like that, you're starving the fuel pump of coolant and lubrication. I do mine every other oil change which works out to be around 14,000 miles. At that point approximately 700 gallons of fuel has been pushed thru that little filter.
And that's just the fuel you're burning. The pump is operating and the filter is filtering even at an idle at a light, the fuel is just being returned to the tank. It's probably double or triple that amount.

quote:Originally posted by linetrash75
I wouldn't change mine before 15k the dirtiest fuel your injector pump sees is after a filter change my thoughts are install fuel pressure gauge and change accordingly.

It's true that a filter will filter finer particules as it's in service longer, but at the expense of restricted flow. The manufacturer has already designed the filter to trap a certian size particule when it's new that meets the pump manufacturers specifications.

I change mine every 12,000 mile on my 1997 and every 15,000 miles on my 2000.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run two gauges, Post-Filter and Pre-Filter. When I start seeing 2-3psi drop across the filter, I change it. I must be getting fairly clean fuel because the present filter has been in there around 30,000 and I'm just now starting to see almost 2psi drop. At WOT,,,,,,,,, I'm still pushing 12psi and idle is at 15-16psi.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is common knowledge that diesel is the dirtiest fuel because it is the least refined fuel available for automobile,go to a sunoco or site that breaks down how fuel is made and you will be able to read how fuels are made,that is why diesel should be the least of expensive of fuels for the auto industries,i wasnt trying to stir anything up but there is a recomended amount of fuel that these pumps were made to be fed with and with the bad design of the fuel system on these trucks it is cheaper to stay after peak performance on all the fuel system to keep in efficient and running properly,peice of mind is what i guess i thrive for,there is no right or wrong way i guess just preferrence of the owner,i wish everyone luck and hope you have no pump problems
Old 06-29-2004, 12:22 AM

I've always operated under the contention that clean fuel, plenty of it and clean oil are paramount to a long lasting diesel.

As for the lesser refinement of diesel, that is true. This would seem like it should be cheaper, but there's more to the equation. Diesel is considerably more dense (i.e. it takes more crude to make a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gasoline).
Old 06-29-2004, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by Pa outlaw
[B]it is common knowledge that diesel is the dirtiest fuel because it is the least refined fuel .......B]
Then I can't imagine how dirty motor oil must be.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:01 PM

imagine how dirty it is,maybe you should start changing the motor oil when you see a drop in preasure
Old 06-30-2004, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Pa outlaw
it is common knowledge that diesel is the dirtiest fuel because it is the least refined fuel available for automobile,
He's right...I was once a NDT Inspection Tech that went around and performed inspections on the large tanks which store the different fuels. You wouldn't believe the crud on the bottoms of the diesel storage tanks. I know all the fuels go through different types of filters before it gets to the consumer, but still....
Old 06-30-2004, 11:39 AM

Before I installed my fuel pressure guage I changed the filter every other oil change. that is still the norm. I also drain some fuel off the housing at each oil change.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:29 AM

well thanks for the back up guys,if you were new to this site and read some of the post against my response you would think i know nothing,i try and post the things i know about and in this case i posted what i know,mouse that is the right thing to do,not that there is anything wrong with what the others do,but the safe way is the way your doing it,nomad,you are right,some others dont really undersatnd what diesel is and really how dirty it is,a company i used to work for had fuel tanks in the ground when we dug them up and cut them open you would not believe the amount of build up and crud on the bottom of the tank,when we cut the gas tanks,they were really clean compared to the diesel tank, and the other thing i look for is a station that changes filters more regular,and dont wait till the pump starts to slow down,the sunoco here did that for a while i stopped buying there,now new owners they change every week
Old 07-05-2004, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by gsdog1
You are risking killing a $1200 pump at the expense of a $14 filter. Not to mention that the filters aren't that hard to change. Throw in the labor charges to replace the injection pump and it adds up to a really bad idea in my opinion.

I change them every 10,000 miles.

Matt
[B]

Where are you getting filters for $14? I cant find them for less than $25!!
Old 07-05-2004, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by USCGtraveler
[B]

I use Baldwin filters and get them for a little over $10 online...
Old 07-05-2004, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try this,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Here is one option
Old 07-05-2004, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by USCGtraveler
[B]

I get mine from a Kenworth dealer for $13.83. Any large truck dealer will probably stock them. Or the above advice to go to Geno's will work as well.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:40 PM

Hey Guy's

I have never changed my fuel filter.98,000 miles.Still running strong.I have only used Amoco/BP,Thats just the card i have no preference really.I guess i will change it after reading all the talk.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:24 PM

I would hope so!

Quick Reply: fuel filter