24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel filter

Whats the take on changing fuel filter. Book says change q 12,000 mi. I run mine till the motor starts to miss and looses power at high rpm, Then I just back off, and tool it on into the campground and change it . will usually run about 30-35,000 before this happends. 98,000 so far . truck runs great. 1998.5 24 valve.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:59 AM

Ooooo, man, that's livin' on the edge! When it starts missing like that, you're starving the fuel pump of coolant and lubrication. I do mine every other oil change which works out to be around 14,000 miles. At that point approximately 700 gallons of fuel has been pushed thru that little filter.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:10 AM

You are risking killing a $1200 pump at the expense of a $14 filter. Not to mention that the filters aren't that hard to change. Throw in the labor charges to replace the injection pump and it adds up to a really bad idea in my opinion.

I change them every 10,000 miles.

Matt
Old 06-25-2004, 08:13 AM

I change mine every other oil change (7,500 miles).... 15,000 miles! For the price of the filter and not having to worry... Why hold out on changing it!?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's a fine idea.....of course it helps keep food on my table .
Old 06-25-2004, 03:12 PM

Guess I change everything too often... I do it every other oil change which comes out to roughly every 7500 miles...

Tony
Old 06-25-2004, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another thing to keep in mind with fuel filter changing is hours run. with the return system that filter is filtering just as much fuel at an idle as it is at highway speeds. a filters service interval should be in hours v/s miles. if you were on the road all the time you would of filtered less fuel in 15,000 mile than someone who had more city and short run driving.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:52 PM

I wouldn't change mine before 15k the dirtiest fuel your injector pump sees is after a filter change my thoughts are install fuel pressure gauge and change accordingly.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by linetrash75
I wouldn't change mine before 15k the dirtiest fuel your injector pump sees is after a filter change my thoughts are install fuel pressure gauge and change accordingly.
Just curious....how do you change your filter to make you post a statement like this?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:33 PM

boy this post got some really screwed up responces, 1st of all diesel is the dirtyest fuel available, 2nd did you ever look at the nozzel on the pump where you fill up?they are always dirty from dump trucks and tractor trailers and what ever else is fueling there,the minimal should be every other oil change, and i say every other is minimal,it takes you 10 minutes to do the changecost you 10-15 dollars to do it,and is keeping your engine running at its peak all the time,read some of the post for injection pumps(vp44) and that alone should be enough to have it changed every other,do your self the favor and change it more often,you will be much happier in the long run,and i really am curious too to know how he came up with that post, if you say that is the dirtiest it gets when you change the filter,guess you have not seen the drain on the side of the filter housing, drain the thing and refill with fresh fuel,i do my truck that way and that is the cleanest fuel mine will get,like always we are opt to our opinions so do what makes you happy
Old 06-25-2004, 08:35 PM

I chage it when i feel it needs changed put 30k on the last filter no cutting out or stumbling at any time. I would like to have apressure gauge but cant aford one. if i did have one when i change filter make note of pressure and mileage and change when i feel there is to much pressure drop
Old 06-25-2004, 08:46 PM

you see the miles on my truck, i am faithfull to oil and fuel filter changes every time,im a lil on the picky side but anything to help keep these pumps going is a big help, i do wish you luck but i would definitely cut your fuel changes in half,whats 15 dollars for some piece of mind, good luck
Old 06-25-2004, 08:47 PM

The dirtiest fuel your injector pump sees is after a filter change same thing with your air filter dirt has not filled some of the holes in the filter material. has nothing to do with how dirty the nozzle is where you get you fuel.the filter filters better after it been used for a while, change when your not getting fuel supply needed.not till then. you maintain the way you want i'll do it my way
Old 06-25-2004, 09:26 PM

that is amazing,read what i posted,if you drain the canister when you change the filter it wont have the dirt from the outside of the filter in the canister,which will be cleaner than when you changed it,as far as the the filter, as soon as that new filter is in the hole and is soaked it is doing its job,and as far as it filters better after its been filtering for a while thats because it doesnt let any thing go thru it cause it is clogged,of course it will filter better then there is less place for fuel to go thru it,not trying to create havick but others read these posts and your preference isnt neccesarily anyone elses just like mine isnt,but facts are facts,ive went to school for hydrolics and seen first hand what filters do,not only in schooling but at my job,just trying to explain a lil bit the reasoning for things,you take it for what its worth,no says you have to do it, and i wish you all the luck with yours,if it last as long as mine you are ahead of me cause i spent the money on filters
Old 06-26-2004, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Pa outlaw
boy this post got some really screwed up responces, 1st of all diesel is the dirtyest fuel available..........
How do you know this? Can you point me to something anywhere on the net that would back your statement that #2 diesel fuel is somehow dirty and full of particulates? I want to read up on this.

Quick Reply: fuel filter