24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel additives

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
Testing says otherwise. Howe's doesn't improve lubricity enough to even meet US gov't fuel specs, never mind the engine manufacturers preference.

See study here:
http://inchoate.harm.org/~halbritt/d...itive%20V3.pdf
True... but that was Howes Meaner Power Kleaner. I wonder how their Diesel Treat would have faired in the tests. Note on Howes website that the MPK was rated Superior in Cummins L-10 test (whatever that is).

For now I use 2-stroke. If I could get B5 I would use that instead... better lubricity & less hassle.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 PM

Here is why I think all should use some sort of lubricity add.
In the past oil refineries could blend additives at the pipeline and send it on its way. With the new ulsd the sulfur must be below 15 ppm at the end of the line. Sooo the refineries send it down the line with 3 or 5 or 7 ppms knowing that it will pick up some sulfur along the way. When it arrives at the rack it is unlubricated. The distrbutor, fuel jobber, or tank driver adds an additive package or not. This costs money and the amount needed is quite variable.
Oems, big oil and the govt. reach a compromise on the hfrr wear scar. ( not as low as the the oems would like to see it) These tests are based on a 15ppm sulfur fuel in a perfect lab environment. The api gravity, lubricity, cetane, btu's vary greatly from station to station and from refiner to refiner.

The mentioned spicer test is a good test, far from perfect, but good. It only test lubricity, with what might be only one of a product line. Also the baseline is with that ONE base fuel. The exact same test with a differecnt base would show different results.

At the very least lubricity is need for preventive maintenance with pumps and injectors.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:54 AM

I use stanadyne performance formula in mine. Here is my reasoning, it is actually made by a company that makes fuel injection pumps, no one elses is. Also make sure that whatever additive you use has NO alchohol of any form in it. It is horrible for your IP and seals.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used nothing, no additives at all for 128,600 miles except a shot of biocide once a year in early summer. VP is fine. Wallet is a little fatter though.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:37 PM

Thats a good point but if you use nothing and the pump quits do you say I should have used something. If you do use an additive and you don't or do have a problem then what? I guess its just one of those things that if you think it works it works no mater what the true answer is. Don't they call this sort of stuff" Snake oil' ?
I will keep adding some 2 stroke because my ears don't lie, it sure quiets that pump down. Quite a few people have asked me what was up with the truck as they said " That thing use to be louder than that". If it helps the lub question then its a bonus.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:00 AM

I also like the 2 stroke oil as an additive.
The modern two stroke engine which is about 1/5 0f the size (cc)of one of these diesels is pushing around 150 hp at 8000 rpm.
they run at a 50/1 fuel to oil ratio and of course there is nothing drier than gasoline without that oil!
That alone tells me how good this oil must be!
There is just no way in the world I would ever try to lubricate the engine in a 10k snowmobile or outboard with any of these snake oil remedies including the bio.
I run my truck at about a 200/1 mix or a half litre or quart per fill up.
I get both peace of mind and peace and quiet!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 AM

My opinion, 2 stroke oil just can't hurt anything, it's cheap, it's easy, and it make it quiet(er), so why not? Heck - I even get a few more miles out of a gallon, and at 3.59/gallon I need the extra 2 mpg.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:04 AM

How much 2 cycle do you add per tank and would synthetic be better
Old 03-10-2008, 12:36 PM

Also Power Service White in winter and Grey for the other period!
it contains slick diesel a fuel lubricity additive, good for the fuel-cooled VP44!