24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel additives

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel additives

I know that this has already been beat to death and I have looked at alot of articles on this subject but what is the best stuff to add to our diesel fuel? Can we really know that its working or working better than something else?
I have been using the stanadyne performance for years and have read that its not all that much better for lubrication than the straight fuel. Then I see a lot of you are using Power service. I bought a bottle today on sale for 1/3 the cost of the Stanadyne. I use Howes in our work trucks and that seems ok as well. I have used 2-stroke too and did notice a smoother and quieter running engine.
It just makes me crazy trying to do the right and best thing for my rig. I don't put a lot of miles on my rig so cost isn't as important as quality.
If anyone can give me some hard facts or opinions please do.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:43 PM

My opinion is that most any additive which adds lubricity is a solid choice in this ULSD world we now live in. My favorite is Power Service in the gray bottle.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:46 PM
GFB

Power service and 2 stroke here.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:54 PM

power service for me
Old 01-18-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a note I sent to a friend who asked a similar question to me separate a few weeks ago.
=========================
Before I start, let me just say I am by no means an expert. In fact, this is my first-ever diesel truck, so if something I mention doesn't sound correct, then you should probably ask an expert first.

My truck is a Dodge 2001; 2500, engine is a Cummins 5.9L. Mine is "short-bed", 2wd, auto. with about 65K mi.

Regarding the fuel additive mixture, I use is knick-name "Drew's Brew"--I think because the first guy who "invented" it is named Drew. The ingredients consist of two products; one is "MARVEL MYSTERY OIL"--usually referred to as "MMO" and the other is "POWER SERVICE DIESEL" (gray bottle), or "PSD". You can get both items at Wal Mart; the MMO is about 3.50, and the PSD is about 6-7.00 depending on the size container. NOTE: The PSD comes in 2 versions; one in a GRAY bottle OR one in a WHITE bottle. The WHITE bottle is for climates that have very cold weather. You can use it here, but for the most part, I think the GRAY bottle is quite sufficient.

You MIX the ingredients. The mixture you'll add to a full tank (30gallon) is: 16 oz of "Power Service Diesel" and 8 oz of "Marvel Mystery Oil". If you use more or less gallons, the rule of thumb is: whatever amount of PSD you choose, then measure half that amount for MMO (ie, if using 20oz of PSD, then add 10oz for MMO).

I typically re-fuel just about at the qtr-tank mark on my truck and this usually comes to about 25gallons. Therefore, the mixture I'm using is: 12oz PSD to 6oz of MMO. NOTE: YOU CAN PREMIX (for storage). If you buy the larger size container you can save (bulk) and then just pre-mix into an empty bottle (ie, an empty "Big Red" drink bottle). Then, just toss the bottle into your p/u bed and you'll have it for next time fill-up.

Here's a link to a longer description (my version is below): http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_578939/tm.htm

I'm getting 18-21mpg, so I haven't really tried much other than the Drew's Brew.

Good luck and please let me know if this works for your trucks!

-Dan
Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

NOTE: Someone else told me he/she didn't recommend PSD...said it was mostly just diesel fuel... dunno if that's true or not...I use anyway... -d

Originally Posted by danalex
Here's a note I sent to a friend who asked a similar question to me separate a few weeks ago.
Before I start, let me just say I am by no means an expert. In fact, this is my first-ever diesel truck, so if something I mention doesn't sound correct, then you should probably ask an expert first.

My truck is a Dodge 2001; 2500, engine is a Cummins 5.9L. Mine is "short-bed", 2wd, auto. with about 65K mi.

Regarding the fuel additive mixture, I use is knick-name "Drew's Brew"--I think because the first guy who "invented" it is named Drew. The ingredients consist of two products; one is "MARVEL MYSTERY OIL"--usually referred to as "MMO" and the other is "POWER SERVICE DIESEL" (gray bottle), or "PSD". You can get both items at Wal Mart; the MMO is about 3.50, and the PSD is about 6-7.00 depending on the size container. NOTE: The PSD comes in 2 versions; one in a GRAY bottle OR one in a WHITE bottle. The WHITE bottle is for climates that have very cold weather. You can use it here, but for the most part, I think the GRAY bottle is quite sufficient.

You MIX the ingredients. The mixture you'll add to a full tank (30gallon) is: 16 oz of "Power Service Diesel" and 8 oz of "Marvel Mystery Oil". If you use more or less gallons, the rule of thumb is: whatever amount of PSD you choose, then measure half that amount for MMO (ie, if using 20oz of PSD, then add 10oz for MMO).

I typically re-fuel just about at the qtr-tank mark on my truck and this usually comes to about 25gallons. Therefore, the mixture I'm using is: 12oz PSD to 6oz of MMO. NOTE: YOU CAN PREMIX (for storage). If you buy the larger size container you can save (bulk) and then just pre-mix into an empty bottle (ie, an empty "Big Red" drink bottle). Then, just toss the bottle into your p/u bed and you'll have it for next time fill-up.

Here's a link to a longer description (my version is below): http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_578939/tm.htm

I'm getting 18-21mpg, so I haven't really tried much other than the Drew's Brew.

-Dan
Old 01-19-2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by danalex

-Dan
According to this Study (see below link) MMO is worse than diesel, while PS is better, personally I use 2 stroke, but if cost is not an issue (for the orginal poster) try buying opti stuff or get bio diesel, I'd be running bio if I could get it commercially, and likely I'll make a homemade "stil" and make my own this summer, I burn 2-3 tanks of fuel a week (10,000$ last year in fuel) so it's likely my best bet to make bio huh?
Some think the study is bias, but I don't, everyone has opinions as to what works, some think that adding ATF works and they claim to be doing it for years, it might have worked years ago but todays ATF has different additives that are not designed to burn, infact they resist burning, and the friction modifiers are not good for a pump with such close tolerances. My point is that an opinion is just that, an opinion. if backed up with results (hopefully impartial) it makes it a much easier choice. An example is in the above post the "drew's brew", is a poor if not a useless choice of additives. but someone likely based it on their experience of mixing additives, and because it was not a negative result they concluded it must be the best thing to do....
So my "opinion" is mix the highest additives on the list (excluding bio) and at least you will know that it's better than straight fuel.
last point, most all additives try to address all the fuels shortages, cetane, gelling, lub, etc some are better than others doing certain things, and likely while addressing cetane issues, it negates the lub issue.

So personally I use 2 stroke + Amsoil diesel concetrate, I've tried both seperately I see some fuel mileage with Amsoil (cetane improver) but with the 2 stroke my Injection pump is NOTICABLY quieter, with the 2 stroke I cant hear the IP over the rest of the engine noise

again this is my opinion so take it as that...an opinion.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=177728
Old 01-19-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run both Howes and Power Service in the white bottle myself, never had a problem with either one, temps get down to -30F here and I've never had it gel.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:55 PM

First I would like to thank everyone who replied to my post, very interesting stuff. I put too much thought into this stuff, I guess if I stick to the Stanadyne or Power Service ( white bottle is what I got) and put some 2 cycle with it its bound to be better than nothing. I like the lack of noise that comes with the use of 2 cycle marine oil. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't try it.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:03 PM

Power service(white in winter silver in summer) and TC-W3 2-cycle oil mixed. Pick em both up at wal-of china-mart.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Joe
Power service(white in winter silver in summer) and TC-W3 2-cycle oil mixed. Pick em both up at wal-of china-mart.
Wal of china mart............lol.........now that cracked me up.........that's good stuff .............lol
Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Biodiesel even in very low blends will provide much better lubricity than many additives, as "the study" that's floating around here showed.

I've used or tried just about everything out there: MMO, PS (both grey and white), Lucas, Redline, Howe's, CPFF, Milligan Biotech, etc.)

Having tried all those, It's my opinion that Redline is the only one that will actually reduce smoke in addition to helping lubricity and such.

But my current favorite fuel additive is made by Lube Control, Inc (LCD) and known as Fuel Power. It's biodiesel-based and keeps everything clean and lubed very well.

If you don't want to mess with ordering the Lube Control product (www.lubecontrol.com), I'd recommend the Redline diesel catalyst, as it's nationally available at places like Autozone and Pep Boys.

jmo
Old 01-20-2008, 12:50 PM

I tried the Redline once, and it did seem to help a little. I didn't notice as much fuel "knocking" with it. Its tough to say if it improved my mileage at all as I did a lot more highway driving that week so ofcourse my mileage was better. I've been using the 2-stroke with PS mixed in with it the winter time. I just ordered some of the FuelPower from Lubecontrol though and will see how that works. I'm also going to use the oil additive.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Hohn
But my current favorite fuel additive is made by Lube Control, Inc (LCD) and known as Fuel Power. It's biodiesel-based and keeps everything clean and lubed very well.
Justin, what is the mix ratio that you are using for the FP60 Plus? According to their web site, it's 1oz. per 5 gals. of fuel ( 640:1). That doesn't seem like much to me especially considering that it's supposed to be a bio-based product. From what I've read, a 2% blend ( 50:1) for soy bio is preferred. The FP60 must have some other potent stuff in it. I've been using the Amsoil Diesel Concentrate which has the same suggested mix ratio as the FP60. Problem is, the ADC doesn't do much for reducing injector/IP noise at the suggested mix rate. This product did fairly well on the Diesel Place fuel additive study.

I'm seriously considering the Stanadyne Lubricity Formula and doubling the suggested mix ratio to achieve 500:1 vs 1000:1. It appears to me that this would be a very cost effective way to achieve the desired lubricity in the ULSD fuel. I like the Redline stuff but it's too expensive for me to use every tank.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Joe
thats funny stuff there.

So whatever "lube" you use you should be using every tank unless you runnin bio? newbie here, pardon the ignorance.

Quick Reply: Fuel additives