24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

fruitless search: why get a fuel pressure gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elandon1201
Its not an opinion its a fact, we all know there are various reasons for a VP failure, please dont ask someone to put "in my opinion" when we all know it is a fact. Yes there are other reasons for failure but 0 PSI will kill your VP. People around here need to realize that common courtesy is the least you can do for your fellow members.
The VP44 can be damaged if fuel pressure drops below 5psi."
.....this is what was posted. According to this ANY truck I've installed a in tank conversion lift pump in is going to meet a soon and certain death. It's MY OPINION that 5 psi is no magic number and should not be stated as so.

when my first lp went bad,it quit pumping for about 15000 miles. my vp was sucking fuel thru the lp.... how i found the problem was when i changed the filter i had to manually fill the canister (3 changes) and the engine developed a stumble during acceleration... so i ckd the pressure, had none ,had the dealer change the lp, all is ok for 40000 miles . changed 2nd pump under warranty, added pusher pump on frame,(per advice from dealer).. end of pump problems except for a broken ground wire a couple of times my current mileage 164,000 miles on original VP 44
........you would be surprised how many times I've seen this over the years. Is it good for the injection pump? NO! Could it have been handy to have a psi gauge? YES! Does it mean certain death for the VP? NO! I've checked trucks where I've put my psi gauge on, started the engine and the VP pulled my gauge into a vacuum.

Mentioning heat, theres probably people up north in cold climates that have Vp44 failures that never let their tank get below half.. still chalkin it up to heat in that scenario?
......Not scientific by any means, but the first week we hit 110+ I did about 6 VP's. Mine died when it was 128 here (dead pedal, p0216 repeatedly). I'm sure I could get parts to pull up a VP usage number and I would find that there is a spike in July-September. That makes me a member of the "yes, heat kills" club.