24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

front end shake

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front end shake

Well after much searching and many trips under the truck i will post and see if i cant get any ideas from here. after changing the front and rear diff fluids my truck has developed a significant shimmy.it is the worst after putting many miles on the truck(and parts are hot).when its cold its barely noticiable. and it only does it when you turn sharp,left or right and apply power, turn sharp and do not apply power no shake.u-joints all seem fine,drive shafts look fine.this one has me stumped.the only other thing is i did just change a wheel bearing a few months ago, but again baring the front wheels, does not show any play at all.this is getting aggravating as hell.lets hope this helps,and thanks.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 PM

have you checked upper joint on track bar? mine shimmied only some of the time at first, but then the death wobble started. just an idea.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselNomad
Well after much searching and many trips under the truck i will post and see if i cant get any ideas from here. after changing the front and rear diff fluids my truck has developed a significant shimmy.it is the worst after putting many miles on the truck(and parts are hot).when its cold its barely noticiable. and it only does it when you turn sharp,left or right and apply power, turn sharp and do not apply power no shake.u-joints all seem fine,drive shafts look fine.this one has me stumped.the only other thing is i did just change a wheel bearing a few months ago, but again baring the front wheels, does not show any play at all.this is getting aggravating as hell.lets hope this helps,and thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
DieselNomad:

There is alot of threads here on DTR about this problem. Go to the SEARCH FUNCTION near the top of the page and you will find ALOT of info on it.
Here is a thread to get you started. Although it is on the 3rd Gen Trucks, many of the front end components are similar:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ont+End+Wobble

-------
John_P
Old 07-13-2010, 06:50 AM

thanks fellas, but i am still not convinced that this is the problam.why would it get worse after longer trips,than it does after just short hauls?it is sort of similar to the feeling you get in 4 wheel drive.but after a 200 mile run she will just about through you out the window turning at the lights,driving straight it feels fine.i will check the above mentioned but i thought i had been over all front end parts many times.thanks for the input fellas and keep em coming she aint fixed yet.
NOMAD
Old 07-13-2010, 07:21 AM

i have the same problem i just had my 35's removed went back to the ole 265 tires and now i have to get a new track bar and have the whole front end realigned i would take your truck to the auto shop and have them check the alignment and you can check the track bar my moog bar comes in today and then to the alignment shop hopefully this solves my shimmy problem like you are talking about
Old 07-13-2010, 07:23 AM

I had a similar problem it was a dry u-joint in the axle the joint would get tight and bind when turned new u-joint cured it. Jack up the front end turn the wheels all the way and rotate the tires mine would get tight and force the tires to try and straighten or you can get a infrared temp gun and see if one gets hot after driving.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:31 PM

does an API GL-5 rated oil have the limited slip additive in it or do you still have to add that to the diffs?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DieselNomad
does an API GL-5 rated oil have the limited slip additive in it or do you still have to add that to the diffs?
I am not sure on the GL-5, but as soon as i read your 1st post i figured you changed the rear diff gear lube on a limited slip axle and did not add the friction modifier additive and now have clutch chatter when turning.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 AM

i did not add modifier and am leaning towards that myself, i assumed that GL-5 had the modifier in it.it is beening added today.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 AM

note to self----never assume---API GL-5 does not have friction modifier in it,still needs to be added to diff.all is good a little modifier and things are back to normal.hope i didnt burn out the clutch packs.