24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Front end problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front end problem.

When turning, I get a grinding noise from the front driver's side wheel that sounds like all-terrain tire noise. I am suspecting wheel bearings. I also get a clunking noise when braking at slow speeds, which I suspect might be ball joints. What do you think? Could the sounds be related and be just the ball joints? I would like to upgrade the ball joints. What would be the best aftermarket ball joint to go with?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:05 PM

I just bought a kit from quad4x4.com. I have heard good things about it. The grinding while turning sounds more u joint to me. Check em out.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:43 AM

U joint? I never would have guessed that. In the past, when I have had the honor of a U joint going out, I heard a jingling noise from the drivetrain. The vibration I am feeling is only at slow speeds, 10 mph, when I'm turning in a residential area without the use of brakes. I don't seem to get any vibration at higher speeds. Thanks, I'll check out the U joints first.

BTW: Not to sound like a complete bozo ... why would I be hearing the noise up front, and only when I'm turning, if it's the U joints?
Old 05-23-2005, 06:26 PM

I am assuming that you have 4wd. If that is the case you have u joints in the front end. Sometimes they grind on sharp turns when they are worn out.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:37 PM

No 4WD, she's 2WD, so I guess that's not my issue? The noise is a rumbling, like the sound of knobbie tires, which vibrates through the floorboard. It's very annoying. If it was wheel bearings, the noise should be there all the time, would it not?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by piperca
No 4WD, she's 2WD, so I guess that's not my issue? The noise is a rumbling, like the sound of knobbie tires, which vibrates through the floorboard. It's very annoying. If it was wheel bearings, the noise should be there all the time, would it not?
Not necessarily, it probably is the wheel bearing going out. If so it will get worse fast.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:29 PM

The front brakes were done by the dealer approximately 5k ago. I initially thought wheel bearings, but was sure the dealer would have addressed that issue. I did pop off a grease cap to check that they had repacked the bearings and they were nice and clean, with fresh grease. Short of tearing it down to the axle, I'm at a loss! Do you still think it's wheel bearings?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:46 PM

Grab the top of your front tire and push in and out. You should hear a clunk if it's the bearings.

John
Old 05-23-2005, 10:08 PM

Thanks, John, I'll check that out.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:16 PM

Also check the front wheel bearing adjustment. If they are too tight, they will growel, for a while. If so, take it apart and check the bearings and repack them.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 AM

Here is how to check for the WB in the front. Jack up the front end a little pit (just to get the tire off the ground). Grab the top of the tire and push it in and out. When you do this, if the tire moves, get yourself a new set of WB's. As for the ball joints, that is a bit more difficult. You can't simply grab the tire and move it. If the front ned can od that, you got MAJOR problems, and the ball joints are WAY shot. You SHOULD take a crowbar and shove it between the ground the tire. Try to lift the tire. If you can do that, replace your Ball Joints. Or do what I did, and just swap them out with the bearings.

BTW, as for good Ball Joints. I only use Spicer joints. Stay away from everything else.

Dima
Old 05-24-2005, 10:30 AM

Hey just a suggestion but I was having a similar problem when driving at slow speeds and when turning. I took it to the dealer and they told me my tie rod ends where going out I replaced them and that seemed to take care of the problem.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:36 AM

check your upper control are attach points
Old 05-24-2005, 05:59 PM

Ok, I think I solved the mystery!

I crawled under the truck today and noticed the plastic wheel-well liners had rub marks on the back. I started the truck and hard cranked the wheels. To my astonishment, I noticed the tires are rubbing on the rear portion of the plastic liners. I have 265/75/16's; they shouldn't rub, should they? I have noticed that my truck sits lower in the front than the rear; is there a way to lift the front a little to eleviate this problem? I was thinking about trying to fit a 285 later on down the road, but I guess that would be impossible.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Banned

A leveling kit should do it for ya.

Quick Reply: Front end problem.