24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Front Driveshaft TC output seal

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front Driveshaft TC output seal

What is involved in replacing this seal , Just bought the seal today and asked the dealer about the one time use nut I seen talked about on here, he had no Idea what it was and that dealer has never sold one before.?????????? Is there such a thing for the yoke ??? Does the TC have to come out to do this etc.....??? Thanks for any input.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is nothing to it.

Pull the front driveshaft out, remove the yoke nut, pull the yoke off and change the seal out.

The nut is supposed to be a one time use nut, I've always replaced mine, I know guys that don't. When you pull the yoke off, there is a small felt like seal in the end of the yoke that fits over the splines on the output shaft, make sure you replace that also. It's only a couple of bucks but it's cheap insurance against a leak thru the spline area. It's called a "Companion flange seal" when you go to the dealer.

No the TC doesn't have to come out, the seal change is an easy repair to do your self, take maybe an hour or so start to finish.

Hope it helps.

Jeff
Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I got it apart now and there seems to be a little play side to side on the shaft and I can move the shaft in and out about a half inch . Is this normal . Got to get the rubber washer from dealer mine is thrashed , and I think they gave me the wrong seal no outter lip on this one compared to the one in the truck. Can't see why the nut is one time use? that don't make sense.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The slop i dont believe is normal, big vibrations and what not, Maybe the nuts are pinch type lock nuts? SO they would stretch when they are used? I know in heavy trucks ( diesel mechanic) i change them everytime so that the locking nylon ring is new and everything, some people just put locktight on the threads. Could do that. you just DONT want it comming off later, no good comes from that haha