24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Front axle pinion bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front axle pinion bearing

My front axle pinion bearing is shot. I have plenty of tools and nohow so i would like to fix it myself. I had got a quote of $1000 to $1500 to fix it! For that money i will buy whatever tools i don't have that i need to do it myself. I did a little research and looks like parts to fix won't even cost $100. I have indicators to check gear slop. What else do i need, and info on how to do this right would be really appreciated.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
I would look at Youtube to get a guide. You need an inch-lb. torque wrench, regular 1/2" torque wrench, probably can get by without a case spreader, get yourself some gear marking compound ( I use standard Prussian Blue oil paint ) Actually, you really shouldn't need a dial indicator unless you don't keep your shims in order. I have found that unless you are changing the gears, not much other than what I listed is required. Don't cheap out on the bearings, the time to get it right is worth more than the savings on Chinese bearings.......
Old 03-06-2012, 12:05 AM

I have 2 Inch-pound torque wrenches, a couple of 1/2 inch ft-lb. torque wrenches. I also have gear marking compound. Where do you suggest getting the "good" parts needed. And any idea on what parts i would need. I figure on getting a new crush sleeve. I thought to do it right you needed to indicate backlash on gears. I've read that some just mark or count on the threads how far to run nut in, but the best way is to us indicator.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by WHISTLINTURBO
I have 2 Inch-pound torque wrenches, a couple of 1/2 inch ft-lb. torque wrenches. I also have gear marking compound. Where do you suggest getting the "good" parts needed. And any idea on what parts i would need. I figure on getting a new crush sleeve. I thought to do it right you needed to indicate backlash on gears. I've read that some just mark or count on the threads how far to run nut in, but the best way is to us indicator.
http://www.quad4x4.com/DodgeDana60front2000-2002.html

This is where I would get them from, if you don't want to order, just make sure you get Timken or better quality.

As for the backlash, unless you change your shim packs, the backlash really won't change. The Pinion has no backlash, LOL, that's what got you in this mess to begin with.....

You have checked your gears for being serviceable, right?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM

I have not torn into it at all yet. I still need it everyday to drive. I will order what i know i need and hope i don't need anything else. And then do it on weekend. I need to replace two more ball joints anyway and might as well do universal joints and axle seals while i have it apart. Reason i said about backlash is i saw a video on how to do this and the person used an indicator and kept checking it while tightening the nut. I never did this before. He said it was the right way of doing it even though a lot of people just run the nut in to where it was before by counting showing threads.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Reason i said about backlash is i saw a video on how to do this and the person used an indicator and kept checking it while tightening the nut. I never did this before. He said it was the right way of doing it even though a lot of people just run the nut in to where it was before by counting showing threads.
LOL, OK so some Youtube vids are not to be watched. That is what the Inch-Lb torque wrench is for, you want to measure the rotational resistance of just the Pinion ( before you reinstall the Diff ). There is a different specification for used bearings versus new.

My 97 service manual lists old bearings as 10-20 Lb/in and new at 15-35 Lb/in to rotate.

Hate to say this, especially since you are digging into unknown territory to you, I would highly suggest you get a factory service manual for that beast. I was going to recommend genos, but it looks like they don't have 2001 manuals any longer.

Maybe try Ebay.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 AM

Thanks patdaly. I really appreciate you peoples input.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Banned

01 FSM is at pdftown and has specs.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
These Danas don't use a crush sleeve. Pinion bearing preload is maintained by shims.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 PM

I got the service manual. Thanks all. Actually debating just taking axles out and front driveshaft off for summer to see if fuel economy improves. Dang fuel prices!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by torquefan
These Danas don't use a crush sleeve. Pinion bearing preload is maintained by shims.
I just had my dana 60 gears changed out and in the part box is a crush sleeve for the pinnion. ED
Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl
I just had my dana 60 gears changed out and in the part box is a crush sleeve for the pinnion. ED
Wow, that's sure strange. Could someone have had it apart before, and put that in? I don't remember seeing one in any Dana before. I better do some reading.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 AM

I haven't torn into it yet, but watched a guy on you tube do a truck like mine. Same year and everything, it had a crush sleeve.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
debating just taking axles out and front driveshaft off for summer to see if fuel economy improves.
Doubtful that you'd see much improvement.....and you wouldn't have 4wd if needed.
With that said, if you do pull the axles.....you must separate the inner/outer axleshafts and reinstall the outers into the unit bearing. If you don't, the bearing will quickly self-destruct.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:08 AM

I don't see how if the driveshaft isn't installed and the axleshafts aren't installed. Nothing to turn any gears in the pumpkin.

Quick Reply: Front axle pinion bearing