24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

It finally happened - Injection pump horror!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 11:15 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:It finally happened - Injection pump horror!!

The lift pump has been the weak-link for the 24 Valvers.
As mentioned before it also provides excess fuel to cool the injection pump.
Fuel pressure gauges should be standard on the 24s.
If the lift pump goes, the injection pump can pull enough fuel to keep the engine running, but not enough to keep it cool too.
On my '99, I tapped my fuel guage into the port on top of the fuel filter canister.
I think yours might have a test port on the side of the canister, or on the injection pump itself.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=4;threadid=6745;start=30#65740 date=1037121305]

.......On my '99, I tapped my fuel guage into the port on top of the fuel filter canister.
I think yours might have a test port on the side of the canister, or on the injection pump itself.

[/quote]

Can you post any pix on how you did that? Sounds like an ideal place to measure from.

Old 11-12-2002, 11:26 AM

My '99 has a different fuel filter set-up than 2000 and up.
The pic I posted was of a '99.
The # 14 is the two test ports for mine.
One is pre filter, the other is post-filter.
I currently have my mechanical guage on the dash hooked up to monitor pre-filter pressure.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:37 AM

Oh right I forgot about that. Where's the pix located?
Old 11-12-2002, 11:39 AM

Reply # 28 of this thread.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:40 AM

:.....thanks!
Old 11-12-2002, 12:21 PM

Before deciding where to put the fuel pressure sending unit, consider the objective of the gauge: Its it to give the most accurate visibility into the life blood of the VP44 (no blood pressure analogies intended), or is it to maximize correlation with the dealer's own measurements? <br><br>That aside, note that the further away from the VP 44 you measure, the less accurate your reading will be. So one important approach in my opinion would be to measure directly on the VP44, with some sort of snubber of course to integrate the pulsing madness going on at the pump. Many do this with good results.<br><br>If you measure on the fuel filter, it won't be as accurate. But will it be accurate enough? probably so depending on your goals, and as long as you stay post filter. But you'll have to weigh the tradeoffs against the convinience of available fittings and how creative you need or want to be. <br><br>One admirable goal (but alas, not attainable with great accuracy) would be to measure where the dealer measures for the purpose of determining warranty entitlement for the lift pump. My suggestion, if this is important to you (it is for me), is to visit with your dealer and find out where (and how) they measure it. What you do with a FP gauge will always introduce a correlation issue with the dealer and you'll want to be as close as possible to their measurement. <br><br>just my $.02. and because I like seeing &quot;senior member&quot; beside my name ever since I broke the 200 post mark
Old 11-12-2002, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehehe. Since my thread has been hijacked, I am going to have to steal it back for a minute. ;D ;D ;D<br><br>I got the truck back today and wow, what a difference! The new injection pump is definately noticable when driving the truck. Right now it's stock because I took the comp off earlier last week. It runs almost as good now as it did with Comp level 1 last week. The truck is much smoother and runs a lot better, especially at idle. The engine vibration is also much less and the tach is now rock steady whereas before, it had been jumping around for over a year. I never thought anything of it, but I'm sure it was the pump. The tach doesn't shake around at all now. The dealer notes said that they got two codes from it. Something with the TPS and injection pump timing problem. They replaced the TPS and the pump under warranty. 16,000 more miles to go till 100,000. <br><br>I'm not putting the comp back on until I get a pusher pump installed. <br><br>Jack
Old 11-12-2002, 03:26 PM

Hey Jack, there is no question that the lift pumps are weak and that a pusher will improve input pressure to the VP44. But just out of curiosity, I thought that the stock lift pump (reliability issues aside) would support a comp box with no injectors?<br><br>thanks again for sharing your VP44 story. you've solidified my decision to keep my comp in EZ mode for the time being!<br><br>Doug