24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

A Few Questions about my first diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Few Questions about my first diesel

I purchased my 02 2500 several months ago and I'm still getting used to some of its quirks, so I had a few questions if anyone can help
-the first one occurs when I'm taking off or accelerating then it stops-when the turbo kicks on I can hear the usual turbo sound but then there is another sound that comes from the engine, it is a high pitched "woo" sound. I asked a mechanic friend about it and he said it might be the torque converter getting up to speed but I wasn't really sure.
-next, a quick question about fuel economy. I seem to be getting around 13-14 mpg. Yes, I do a lot of stop and go driving but I expected the numbers to be a little higher. I drive it to work everyday with nothing loaded in it and drive around 45 the whole way there (15 or so miles). Any suggestions on improving the economy?
Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 PM

I have a sneaking hunch that your two problems are related. I'd guess the 'woo' sound you're hearing is a boost leak, which will hurt your economy. You can build a tester and pressurize the system to 20 psi and go after it with some soapy water. Although if you're hearing the 'woosh' sound, you probably don't need the water. This is where some gauges would come in real handy. You'd notice low boost and higher EGT's associated with a boost leak.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:33 PM

first diesel

Do you think if the problem was fixed my truck would run better? It seems to be a little sluggish... Since I'm new to diesels do you think I should bring it in for someone to look at it?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:19 PM

If in fact it is a boost leak, it could be the culprit for all the problems you've mentioned, including the sluggishness. I'd check for the easy/obvious things before taking it in--such as making sure the small rubber hose between the turbo compressor and wastegate actuator is connected, then make sure all the larger rubber boots are connected in the intake system (start from the compressor outlet and follow it to the intercooler, then out the other side of the intercooler up to the intake manifold, making sure none of the boots have any holes in them and all clamps are tight.) Check the intercooler for any visible signs of damage. Then, as previously stated, you could pressurize the system to check for leaks but once again make sure the air supply used to pressurize it is regulated to not more than 20 psi. Another thing to check that could dramatically affect economy is tire pressure--make sure it doesn't drop too low, or it could increase the rolling resistance of your tires quite a bit. Just FYI, I've been driving around with a bad injection pump for some time now and I still get 19-21 mpg. If memory serves, I think it was a little better than that before the injection pump problem started.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:38 PM

Thank you, I will try that and see if I can find the problem.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:10 PM

Several years ago, there was a long thread on the "wooo" noise. We called it the "bottle noise" because it sounded like when you blow across a bottle. At the time, several of us thought it might the exhaust system resonating because it was about the same frequency as when you hit the pipe with an object to make it ring. Mine still does it to this day, most of the time when in a lower gear for and extended amount of time, such as climbing long hills.

I can't tell where you're from. But if you live in a cold part of the US, diesel is often blended with kerosene to prevent clouding in very cold weather. Kero has less energy, and when coupled with cold weather operation, it's not uncommon to see mileage drop 2-4 miles per gallon. I think you're getting just about right mileage for stop and go. My driving is the oposite; 92 miles per day on the interstate, and I'm seeing about 18.5 MPG in the really cold weather we're seeing right now in MA.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:14 PM

my MPG dropped from 17 to 14 when they switched to winter diesel and ultra low sulfur.

Trending Topics

Old 02-07-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by sacnvr2l8
my MPG dropped from 17 to 14 when they switched to winter diesel and ultra low sulfur.
I think they should reflect that drop in mileage in the price.

-SFB
Old 02-07-2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by shortfieldbreak
I think they should reflect that drop in mileage in the price.

-SFB
No arguement here SFB
Old 02-07-2007, 06:10 PM

No arguement here SFB
Hey! You're a BOMBer too! You gonna be at Hoss' next weekend?

-SFB
Old 02-08-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by shortfieldbreak
Hey! You're a BOMBer too! You gonna be at Hoss' next weekend?

-SFB

Yes will be there looking forward to it have several projects!!! I'm the guy you were going to bomber express the tires to Indiana for...
Old 02-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Yes will be there looking forward to it have several projects!!! I'm the guy you were going to bomber express the tires to Indiana for...
Oh yes....how could I forget. I'll have my groucho marx disguise on so you don't know who to kick in the .

-SFB
Old 02-08-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Check the intercooler boot below the drivers side battery. The fender can cut into it quite easily as mine did. You have to take the entire tube and both boots off to really check. Then take some pliers and bend the edge away from the boot so it doesn't happen again. Mine was really rubbing the boot and finally cut through it.