24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

FASS, drawstraw - still dropping FP at 1/4 tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fuel module cannister will hold the in-tank level of fuel even during hard stops and fast take-offs, long enuff for the sloshed level to settle down - this is proven by ability to run fuel level down to near MT prior to draw straw type modifications - install the straw in the cannister to eliminate draw-straw 1/4-tank problems

NOTE: the fuel module cannister is on moveable stalks, spring-loaded to force cannister to sit in it's well on the tank bottom - therefore, the straw cannot be cut to length with the cannister out of the tank - modify the module to take the straw, put the module back into the tank and temporarily install the clamp ring - insert the straw to correct length, not less than ~1/4" bottom clearance, mark and cut off excess - do not slash-cut the end - clean and blow out any cutting detritus - remove module from tank, install draw straw - make sure draw straw fitting is sealed for fuel, water, and dirt - insert module, clamp - problems solved

'Nuther method of cutting the end of the straw would be the V-cut, where the bottom of the V rests on the bottom of the cannister, with the slashed openings ~3/8" - this helps establish correct straw depth\length

| |
| |
| |
\ /
Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks qmctd - makes sense, and another procedure to consider. Originally, after having the FASS installed, I was running out of fuel at 1/4 tank - that was before a drawstraw was fitted, and I believe the mechanic cut it so that the end of the draw w slash penetrated through the bottom of the canister.
From the explanation you've provided, I guess I'm wondering why the original stock setup didn't work with the FASS now - as in I was running out of diesel at 1/4 tank? Thanks, DD