24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fass

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fass

We have an 02 dodge and getting ready to put a FASS 95 gph. pump kit from vulcan performance. With the big 3/8 fuel line and fiitings and the big line from filter to injector pump. How is the setup seam to be holding up for you guys is my first question and about how long am i looking at for me to do the install. Do i need any special tools or any thing or any problems i may incounter please let me know first time trying to do this. I dont think i will have much problem.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The FASS pumps are certainly one of the best out there. How to mount it is subject to discussion. Some folks mount them to the floor support under the cab, some mount 'em to the frame. One thing to be sure is that the small hole in the pump body faces down. Other than deciding how you want to mount it the installation is fairly easy. The Vulcan big line kit is a simple line swap. The fuel line will need to be tie-wraped since it won't fit where the old line was. Heat the hose ends before pushing over the fittings. They are a tight fit. Here is a recent thread on pump install. I did a frame mount since it is quieter. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=209289
Old 07-10-2008, 04:37 PM

thanks for the info
Old 07-10-2008, 11:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mount the pump to the cross member of the bed, not the frame of the truck. It's the only way it can be mounted and still come out like the instructions make it sound. Right in front of where the driver's side leaf spring hooks to the frame. There is a bed cross member, mount it on that, either side (front side or rear side). I mounted on the front of that cross member.

The blue pinch clip DOES NOT come off with the fuel line (when you unhook it from the tank). You have to pinch it together and pull the fuel line off with the other hand. It's impossible to do, but you have to do it. After you get the old fuel line off then cut off the blue pinch clip with dykes

The instructions are pretty bad. They cover several different versions of this system, but they don't tell you that. I just unhooked the stock lift pump and left it there. I ran the big blue hose from the Fass to the input side of the stock fuel filter. You have to change the fittings on the stock fuel filter input side. Disconnected the wire from the stock lift pump and hooked it to the Fass harness.

It's much simpler to do than the instructions make it sound. They need to be rewritten
Old 07-11-2008, 07:01 AM

Thanks Greg i was just trying to get some idea on how this all would go together my pump i hope will be here today and can start this weekend thank again for the info. Joe
Old 07-11-2008, 02:08 PM

Be prepaired for a fight with the fittings on the tank, they are hard on your hands. I used different hose than what FASS supplies because the hose they give you is not biodiesel safe and since I run B100 I did not want to have to change them in a year. The bed cross member is the place to put it, you might want to use some rubber washers to cut down on the noise.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a hint about getting the old fuel line off the tank. Cut the hose about 4" from the clips, then you can turn it so you can press both clips in together. When the tank was installed, some EVIL person put it on so one of the clips was facing down. I mounted mine to the truck box cross member also and also left the old lift pump on the motor.

I have not installed the big line kit yet, probably will this winter. Love that fass though, works well at -43, great product but the instructions do need some work.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:58 PM

I have that exact set up on my 02. been good to me and I got about 120,000miles on it so far with no problems.. pm if any questions
Old 10-07-2008, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are you guys relocating the pumps to on the 4x4 short box quad cabs. I want to stay inside the frame but the fuel tank , transfer case, and skid plate all seem to make it very difficult to find a decent spot..
Old 10-07-2008, 09:52 PM

I had to mount mine on the outside of frame on passenger side as my running board brackets were in the way' it was lower than what I wanted so I put a
rubber flap around it
Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Mueller
The blue pinch clip DOES NOT come off with the fuel line (when you unhook it from the tank). You have to pinch it together and pull the fuel line off with the other hand. It's impossible to do, but you have to do it. After you get the old fuel line off then cut off the blue pinch clip with dykes

It's much simpler to do than the instructions make it sound. They need to be rewritten
The blue clip doesn’t need to be cut off actually. All you do is fold the "ears" of the clip over 180* and simply pull off. Then snap back in to the stock line.

And the instructions are going to be rewriten here soon......