24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine surging

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Engine surging

I have a 2001 all stock 24v. I have had trouble with it surging between 60-70 mph for several years. A couple months back I had to replace the lift pump as well as the injector pump. The problem seem to deminish but now is back on occassion. I have pulled P-codes and got PCU P-1492 and ECU P-1693 it is my understanding both of these codes are buddy codes so not sure if they even mean anything, also i suppose they could be old codes.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:05 PM

Is your truck a manual transmission? If so, does the condition go away when you have the cruise control engaged?

The manual trucks have electronic cruise control and when engaged, the APPS is taken out of the loop. If the surge goes away when the cruise is on, a place to look is at your APPS.

It is not always the case, but my experience with the same "surge" on my own truck and others has always been the APPS if it a manual equipped truck.

Fill in your signature also.

Jeff
Old 01-26-2012, 06:11 PM

It is a manual 5 speed, however it is an undressed truck and does not have cruise control. Explain to me more about the APPS please where it is located and what it is. Thank You
Old 01-26-2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 20012500dodge
It is a manual 5 speed, however it is an undressed truck and does not have cruise control. Explain to me more about the APPS please where it is located and what it is. Thank You
Located on the left front of the engine. Behind the cover that the accelerator cable goes into.

Mine is an auto but I tried everything but only Timbo Apps sensor fixed mine. (I think maybe the surge is caused by the torque converter kicking in and out?)

Since the change it has not surged once.

If you buy the Timbo apps you can replace the sensor only. Not a real big deal to install, but you will need a good digital voltage meter. If you go OEM you have to buy the whole linkage assembly I believe.

gm
Old 01-26-2012, 08:05 PM

Thumbs up

Actually I have looked up teh Timbo APPS I was surprised to find it was actually less expensive then others...I have a box full of good meters I am an electrician by trade Also Timbo offers install instructions on his website but before I buy I am going to try the recalibration on mine first..thanks for the information.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Your APPS is probably shot. I adjusted mine twice in a month and threw a Timbo on it and fixed it.

Piece of cake with enclosed instructions.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM

Ok man thanks, I think I will order the Timbo Apps. Now just to get my son to let the truck sit still long enough to get it installed. HAHA
Old 01-27-2012, 04:13 PM

I would try to adjust it and make sure the APPS is the problem. Mine stayed adjusted for about 3 days and then the surge/miss would return. I I'd'd the problem by using my cruise control to confirm.

I saw you don't have that option, however I would confirm before throwing parts at it. Adjusting/setting the APPS is free.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:47 AM

I hear ya SIXSLUG FREEE is always the first option although I do have the Timbo website on my faorites list for just incase. I have had this problem for about 5 yrs, then about three months ago we had a tragedy... I had to replace the injector pump ouchhhhhhhhh but the good thing is I got an 18 month warranty on the new one as long as no mods were done, I also went ahead and replaced the lift pump. After doing so the problem seem to deminish but I was not driving the truck everyday my teenage son is and well you know how teenagers are. But we happened to be making a trip the other evening and all of a sudden I felt it so I asked him if he was working the throddle and he said no what was that so I told him and asked if it had been doing it and he said nope that was the first time he felt it......so here we are.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:48 AM

Mine had the surge miss for about two years before I figured it out, I thought it was shady fuel. Not cool when you're out in the wilds!!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:33 PM

Well we shall see, I done the recalibration this morning. I drove it seem to be fine I guess only time will tell now. Son has gone to work in it so we can talk tomorrow about what he felt while driving. I actually think the accelerator responce got better. Maybe it has just been to long since I have driven it....**** I miss that truck.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:31 PM

My truck seemed to start better and had a little better throttle response also.

The Timbo is a good replacement if you need it.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:07 PM

My Son had a 1999 3500 with the same problem and it was under warranty. The dealership installed a new torque converter, lift pump, high pressure pump, computer, and finally a new transmission ( 5 speed automatic ) and the problem persisted. After all this they installed a ( magnetic ) interference box on the wire loom behind the air filter box and the problem went away. There is no name on the box but there is an address. Contact me if you need this address. I now own this truck and guard this " Happy Box " with all that is within me.

GradyP
Old 01-29-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by GradyP
My Son had a 1999 3500 with the same problem and it was under warranty. The dealership installed a new torque converter, lift pump, high pressure pump, computer, and finally a new transmission ( 5 speed automatic ) and the problem persisted. After all this they installed a ( magnetic ) interference box on the wire loom behind the air filter box and the problem went away. There is no name on the box but there is an address. Contact me if you need this address. I now own this truck and guard this " Happy Box " with all that is within me.

GradyP
OK will do, but so far so good. Throttle response is good and so far no surge/miss. This truck has 155,000 miles on it and seems to run better everyday. I did notice a slight decrease in mileage after replacing the VP44 but seems to be getting better.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:55 AM

That shielding is good to keep auto trucks from hunting gears, but the surge/miss is usually the APPS.

If you get the Timbo, really follow the directions closely re: the slot lining up in the back!

Quick Reply: Engine surging