24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine surging!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine surging!!!

whats up everyone? i'm a new guy to the site and in desperate need of some help, my 01' 24v cummins likes to surge really bad when i hold steady throttle at any rpm in any gear, and kinda sounds like its suckin air when revved from idle in nuetral, fuel pressure is dead on perfect, and i put a new lift pump and relocated it the frame rail by the tank and replaced all fuel lines and checked pick-up tubes for holes, some people around here think its the injector pump some think its injectors but i would like to get a few more opinions before i throw that much money at it, PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:24 PM

Welcome...!

Sorry about your troubles, I'll have to let someone who knows the 24V's more speak to this one. Just an FYI, it's greatly helpful if you fill out your signature, so we know quickly what you're working with, and it elimantes having to re-write it.

Thanks and good luck....
Old 11-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Chapter President

Welcome to the site. You need to go up to the top of the page and click on user CP. Then fill out your sig with any mods that may be done to your truck. If you have a programmer or box on the truck it could just be a timing and or fueling issue, but without more info it's just too hard to diagnose.
Terry
Old 11-23-2009, 10:37 PM

There we go
Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 PM

maybe i need new spark plug wires.......(yes i am just kiddin lol)
Old 11-29-2009, 01:57 AM

Has it gotten cool/cold in your area? Generally these engines will get timing surge when it starts getting colder and when you have a box that adds timing. Can you run with the EZ off while driving and see if the surge goes away?
Old 11-29-2009, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't recall any reports of cruise surging from an EZ. But disconnecting it would be an easy way to confirm.
I elimeinated surging by replacing my APPS sensor with Timbo's sensor.
But, I would try resetting the APPS first.

RJ
Old 12-03-2009, 04:10 PM

yeah its really cold here, got about 20 below zero the other night lol, but it was doin it this summer too, i have unplugged the chip and put everything back to bone stock and does the same thing, i was readin a forum about resetting the apps so i'll try that tonight and see how it goes, im thinkin about gettin timbos apps sounded like a good idea
Old 12-31-2009, 11:07 AM

well the plots startin to thicken and stuff is gettin worse, i discovered that the truck came from a hot rod diesel truck in texas and the previous owner doesnt know what all they did to it, so now im startin to wonder if they didnt mess with the timing or injectors or anything like that, but about a week ago the truck started having trouble starting and now it wont start at all unless i crank on for about 30 minutes, theres fuel comin from the lift pump but doesnt seem like its gettin to the motor, any ideas?
Old 12-31-2009, 03:20 PM

you have to pull codes,inorder to eliminate the APPS or VP. and as per your signature you have both a boost fooler and a EZ ???? the EZ is a boost fooler so you dont need both.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 01'RollinCoal
well the plots startin to thicken and stuff is gettin worse, i discovered that the truck came from a hot rod diesel truck in texas and the previous owner doesnt know what all they did to it, so now im startin to wonder if they didnt mess with the timing or injectors or anything like that, but about a week ago the truck started having trouble starting and now it wont start at all unless i crank on for about 30 minutes, theres fuel comin from the lift pump but doesnt seem like its gettin to the motor, any ideas?
prepare to replace the vp 44
Old 12-31-2009, 08:42 PM

dang i was hopin no one would say that, i cracked the injector lines and got fuel did all the test procedures i could find on here and still no start, i pulled codes P0122 which is the apps low voltage, and P0252 which is fuel metering control, sounds like the vp has taken a poo on my parade huh
Old 01-03-2010, 09:26 PM

so now it sat for about a week, and we decided to try pull startin it today and it fired right up and ran great, once its warm i shut can shut it off and itll start right back up just fine, but i let it sit for a couple hours and it wont start at all again, this thing is drivin me crazy
Old 01-04-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 01'RollinCoal
so now it sat for about a week, and we decided to try pull startin it today and it fired right up and ran great, once its warm i shut can shut it off and itll start right back up just fine, but i let it sit for a couple hours and it wont start at all again, this thing is drivin me crazy
That sounds like your fuel system is bleeding down. Check for a leak in the fuel return line on the back of the head.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Is your fuel fresh, if not you need winter fuel, it could it be gelling across the filter? Pull filter and look for gelling. Is fuel pressure before the filter? It started when you pull started it,so is it cranking over fast enough, are you running synthetic oil? Check battery cables, connections or starter contacts. Could the fuel heater or the grid heaters have been disconnected? Does your fuel press gauge use an isolator? If so there is a small Allen screw used for bleeding. Under the screw there should be a small ball bearing, these often get lost during bleeding and will weep fuel when shut down causing poor starting. Hope there is something in there you can use.

Quick Reply: Engine surging!!!