24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine shutter or miss - How do I check codes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine shutter or miss - How do I check codes?

Check Engine light came on a few days ago. I didn't think twice because she ran just fine. <br><br>This Saturday I experienced a &quot;miss&quot; or &quot;shutter&quot; pulling onto the highway. Pulled over on the side of the road - all gauges fine: Fuel pressure, Oil pressure, Temp... Drove on and it ran fine the rest of the day.<br><br>Sunday it did this again but a little worse. More &quot;miss&quot; than Saturday but then it cleared up after about a minute and ran fine the rest of the day. All gauges normal.<br><br>This morning I drained some diesel out of my filter with the lever in case there was water in it. I noticed my radiator was on the Low mark so I topped it off. I watched my temp gauge fluctuate out of the ordinary between 180 to 200 and I haven't seen it over 190 unless I was really booking it down the road. (I have been smelling antifreeze but have no apparent leaks). No miss or shutter today.<br><br><br>I don't think its bad diesel because I used between 1/4 to 1/2 a tank without any problems since I filled up last?<br><br><br>I replaced my IAT and MAP a while back and was going to see if they are loose. I didn't tighten the hell out of them when I replaced them so maybe one of them is causing this problem.<br><br><br>** My main question is can I check the computer codes myself *** without any fancy tools? I read somehwere to turn the key on/off three times and read the codes where my mileage is shown but I've tried numerous times and this doesn't work. Have a '99 model.<br><br>PLEASE dont tell my my VP-44 is about to bite the dust. [undecided]
Old 06-09-2003, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Engine shutter or miss - How do I check codes?

mines done that right as the lift pump is starting to die. ur sig says u got a new one and a fp gauge so it would seem odd if it was the LP. ive heard of some trucks &quot;shuttering/missing&quot; and needing to have the computer reprogrammed. The TSB number relating to this is 18-24-99<br><br>hope i could be of some help<br><br>good luck
Old 06-09-2003, 03:54 PM

[quote author=steveb link=board=4;threadid=15685;start=0#147437 date=1055184329]<br><br>This morning I drained some diesel out of my filter with the lever in case there was water in it. I noticed my radiator was on the Low mark so I topped it off. I watched my temp gauge fluctuate out of the ordinary between 180 to 200 and I haven't seen it over 190 unless I was really booking it down the road. (I have been smelling antifreeze but have no apparent leaks). No miss or shutter today.<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>maybe the head gasket blew or a head cracked ??? (though you probably would have seen fluid if the head cracked with other problems).
Old 06-12-2003, 04:33 AM

If your check engine light came on, it should have logged a code. Don't think the 99 models let you view the codes with the key like the newer ones. Best thing for you to do is run it buy a Cummins dealer (since you are out of warranty) and let them plug their computer in and tell you what's wrong. If you were a little closer to Ohio, I could help you with that.<br> <br>Charlie
Old 06-12-2003, 05:33 PM

Mine did that and it was fixed by the dealership and the updated ecm program, I believe. Long time ago.
try checking the tsb's here: http://www.dodgeram.org/
Old 06-12-2003, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to thank everyone for the help.<br><br>I HOPEFULLY have found my problem!<br><br>Had it in the shop last month to replace that lift pump and put on the new banjos. While it was there they retrieved these fault codes and cleared the system. Since the Check Engine light came on with my stuttering engine problem I naturally wanted to see the codes set.<br><br>Yesterday on the way home the truck was missing out a little worse than “normal” and I decided to take it in the next day to that shop to retrieve the codes since my ’99 evidently doesn’t have a shade tree method to get them without a computer (by the way someone told me some of the auto parts places will do this for free but I’m out in the sticks).<br><br>While driving I glanced down where you would hook up the scan tool under the dash and something didn’t seem right – looked shiny. Without anything better to do while driving I ran my hand down there to wiggle that area – NOT GOOD – heard this dinging and the Air Bag light turns on – wowah. I start to slow down thinking the airbag is going to pop out at any second but it didn’t. I wiggled it again (like an idiot) thinking I’d fix the airbag thing and then my entire dash cluster with all gauges GOES DEAD. A text readout from the odometer area stated “No Bus”. <br><br>Well, since my Cummins engine was still trucking away ignoring its BRAIN DEAD Dodge counterpart I drove another 2 miles to the house and immediately grabbed some new underwear. <br><br>I found the plastic “top part” of the computer receptacle was broke off and missing. This left me the bottom plastic piece with BARE receptacles just hanging there. I grabbed some electrical tape and did some southern engineering. Cranked her up and she ran. Today my Check Engine light went off and I’m not having any engine shutter. The terminals may have been shorting out while I was driving and causing the problem. We’ll see??<br><br><br>NOW my question is does anyone know of a wrecking yard or someone that has an old ’99 ctd where I can obtain that computer interface plug with about six inches of wire attached to it? [undecided]<br><br>Thanks again! <br>
Old 06-13-2003, 02:36 AM
Banned

You still got a warranty? If you do, I'd let Dodge replace it.

Trending Topics

Old 06-16-2003, 01:04 AM

Yeah the 99s have them, On off On off On and there ya go. I mean my 97( its got the 360 gasser) has it in it. Only instead of it desplaying the code number on the Odo it blinks the check engine light. and then you take the blinks corispond the numbers and get the code haha. A lotta work let me tell ya. But it should do it