24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

engine serial number

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine serial number

I need to verify my engine serial number.

I've searched and found 2 posts on this topic but they don't help (without dismantiling the alternator and water inlet :-)

My local cummins dealership explained that the engine serial number is located on the gear housing. I found a 1" x 3" vertical aluminum plate bolted there and it was stamped with a [manufacturing] date and 8 digit number; 5210XXXX.

Is the later number my engine serial? I put the number into Cummins' quick-parts site and it comes back as being invalid. If I change the 2 to a 6 (since most TSB's talk about 56XXXXXX ranges), it works.

Many thanks,

Futch
Old 10-20-2004, 08:15 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first place you mentioned is where I found mine. Mine is a 56xxxxxx number.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:47 AM

Sorry. Which place? On the engine block under the water inlet bracket or on the gear housing?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Chapter President

Gear housing/ timing cover. Right in front of the VP44. It usually pretty dirty and hard to read without a bright light.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:26 AM

You should also be able to see the number stamped into the block above the oil cooler.

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/mt_...sb_changes.htm
Old 10-21-2004, 01:31 PM

Here is the latest scoop. If someone can prove me wrong and show me an ID number on the engine, it would greatly aid me in an upcoming court case. I have been through it and through it with Cummins and this the the latest info that I have been able to gather.

On all but the very first 24 valve engines, there is no serial number stamped on the block. The timing case cover is the only location of the serial number. If this is removed as mine was, there is no identifaction of the engine, or so it seems.

Under the bracket that holds the alternator and water inlet, there is a number stamped that should be a serial number. So far, Cummins is not able to reference this number, for engine size model or any information.

I have three engine s here and none have a serial number on the block in the location that is referenced by the last post. Cummins Mid-South says there is not one on the engine.

To the best of my knowledge I was sold a generator engine for a truck engine. I cannot even determine this so far. This is the engine that cracked, it was never designed to be used on the road.

Any further information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:36 PM

Re: engine serial number

Originally posted by futch
I need to verify my engine serial number.

I've searched and found 2 posts on this topic but they don't help (without dismantiling the alternator and water inlet :-)

My local cummins dealership explained that the engine serial number is located on the gear housing. I found a 1" x 3" vertical aluminum plate bolted there and it was stamped with a [manufacturing] date and 8 digit number; 5210XXXX.

Is the later number my engine serial? I put the number into Cummins' quick-parts site and it comes back as being invalid. If I change the 2 to a 6 (since most TSB's talk about 56XXXXXX ranges), it works.

Many thanks,

Futch
Best I have been able to figure is that the Dodge engines has 56, but the RV275 engien I have is different, I think 54. Has the timing case cover been changed? That would lose the number.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:14 AM

Best I have been able to figure is that the Dodge engines has 56, but the RV275 engien I have is different, I think 54. Has the timing case cover been changed? That would lose the number.
This is one of the first 98.5's but I think it is the original timing cover. On the weekend I checked the cover again and found a vertical *black* sticker (obscured with dirt), located infront and below the VP44 on the gear housing cover. I had to put my eye level right down on top of the driver-side battery to see it.

The sticker has an "Engine No" field, with a 56* number but Cummins tell me that number is invalid too. !@$@#

Good luck with your motor troubles.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:15 PM
Chapter President

Dang.. I pulled my number from the same spot and Cummins said that was it.

Post your engine number from that tag and what info you're trying to get and I'll try my local Cummins shop for you.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:24 PM

If memory serves me correct, the engine ID tag should have the ESN on it, the injection pump will have its own serial number and the engine number as well, also on the block on the lower skirt on the passenger side there should be a number also. I know that the number on the bigger engines is in like 4 different places, tomorrow when I am at work, I will take a look at some and see what I can find for ya, for some reason I think that there is one stamped into the cylinder block up near the head on the drivers side. If it wasnt pouring rain out right now, I would go and look at my engine and check it out.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:44 PM

Thought this might interest you. The 24valve blocks have only one number on them, it is located, right front below and infront of the water inlet. This is from Cummins in regard to this number.
---------------------------
Dear Mr Gould,

Without the engine serial number it will be impossible to provide any
information on this engine. The picture you attached with the possible
serial number , 98077571, is not a valid serial number. I did not see any
other pictures. The serial number provides the application of the engine.
I apologize for not being able to provide any more information.

Thank You
Ron Sutton