24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine died while driving, shows code P-1693

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine died while driving, shows code P-1693

I let it warm up before heading home from work, and had just pulled onto the freeway when the engine died. The only code displayed was P-1693 -- DTC detected in ECM or PCM (Detected Trouble Code). Engine will turn over but will not start. Another interesting thing is that the AirDog fuel pump will only run while the engine is turning over (determined by watching the fuel pressure gauge slowly come up to 15 while trying to start it). The fuel pump does not "pre-charge" the line or stay on when the starter is "bumped" . The only work done on the truck since last August was replacing the transmission "speed sensor" roughly one month ago. I needed to get the truck off the freeway, so I had it towed to a local shop. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by F. Flack
I let it warm up before heading home from work, and had just pulled onto the freeway when the engine died. The only code displayed was P-1693 -- DTC detected in ECM or PCM (Detected Trouble Code). Engine will turn over but will not start. Another interesting thing is that the AirDog fuel pump will only run while the engine is turning over (determined by watching the fuel pressure gauge slowly come up to 15 while trying to start it). The fuel pump does not "pre-charge" the line or stay on when the starter is "bumped" . The only work done on the truck since last August was replacing the transmission "speed sensor" roughly one month ago. I needed to get the truck off the freeway, so I had it towed to a local shop. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank
vp44............................
Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup! VP-44 in all likelyhood.
Has the AirDog always acted that way or is this a new development?

RJ
Old 02-25-2009, 04:53 PM

yeah I'd also say vp44...been there done that....dieing on the highway really sucks
Old 02-25-2009, 05:51 PM

ah the 1693 vp code sorry to hear it man. Mine left me on the road too at 3:30 am
Old 02-25-2009, 07:10 PM

i don't get it becasue my truck has had that code in it before, dealer and hypertech told me it was just a dummy code something that lets the dealers know a vehicle has be Quote "chipped" my truck runs just fine no problems code always shows up when i put my programmer on, but when i turn it to stock settings it never shows up?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:41 AM

The P1693 is just a companion code and means nothing by itself. Means same code was set in PCM and ECM.
But VP-44's can, and have, died with no codes at all!

RJ
Old 02-26-2009, 09:16 AM

The shop called this morning. They believe it's the VP44, but do not have the equipment to work on it. They will take it to a dealership they trust to have it fixed. The previous truck had the VP44 go out, but it allowed me to "limp" home. This one just died... at 189k miles I guess I can't complain.

I installed the AirDog when I bought the truck 4 years ago -- bad experience with the '99 I previously owned. The AirDog is connected to the stock LP wire harness so it is controlled by the ECM/PCM the same as the stock LP was. Once I turn on the ignition, it runs for ~ 5 seconds to pressureize the system. Then once the engine starts it comes up to 15 psi and stays there. I've never had a problem with it.

Thanks for the replys. If it turns out to be something other than the VP44 I'll post again to let everyone know.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 02-26-2009, 07:55 PM

Dude, doesn't the limp mode mean the APPS or some ECM thing? I thought that when it truly died it didn't have a special limp mode or anything. And yes, the 1693 is just a companion code. You will get it whenever another code is tripped....
Old 02-27-2009, 09:41 AM

By "limping" I mean the engine would still run, but would not allow me to rev up the RPMs. That truck was a manual, so I was able to ride the clutch and get it moving up to about 35MPH with the engine at idle speed -- enough to get me home.

This time the engine will not start. I've had it checked out at the dealership and they have confirmed the VP44 is shot. They are also suggesting I replace the injectors. My BS flag went up -- how often do the injectors go out with the VP44, or cause the VP44 to fail? The truck has ~ 190k miles on it, and I really want better injectors... just need to keep an eye on my finances right now...

Thanks,
Frank
Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 AM

By "limping" I mean the engine would still run, but would not allow me to rev up the RPMs. That truck was a manual, so I was able to ride the clutch and get it moving up to about 35MPH with the engine at idle speed -- enough to get me home.

This time the engine will not start. I've had it checked out at the dealership and they have confirmed the VP44 is shot. They are also suggesting I replace the injectors. My BS flag went up -- how often do the injectors go out with the VP44, or cause the VP44 to fail? The truck has ~ 190k miles on it, and I really want better injectors... just need to keep an eye on my finances right now...

Thanks,
Frank
RED FLAG NO WAY INJECTORS ARE ALL BAD AS WELL AS THE VP-44 ALL AT THE SAME TIME GET IT OUT OF THEIR HANDS NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What was your fuel pressure when the truck quit and does your gauge show any pressure while cranking?

If you have the 1693 code their is AT LEAST one other code or more that needs to be identified before proceeding any further.

It is very clear they do NOT know what they are doing other than trying to make some big money from you.

How was your truck running before it quit ??
I have 230k on my original injectors in my 99 still running perfect and getting 21mpg in a 1ton quad cab.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Thanks Rattler... those were my thought too.

The fuel pressure was at 15psi while I was warming up the truck. There were no indicators that anything was going wrong up to that point. I only traveled ~ 1/2 mile to the freeway onramp but didn't check the gauge again. While cranking the engine over it will come up to (the normal) 15psi. Two shops have verified the AirDog is still working as it should -- that much I do believe.

The 1693 was the only code to display.

I'm going to have it towed back to my house. I've been checking on pricing and DIY instructions (off mopar1973man.com). I have a friend who was ASE certified in a previous life who has offered to help. I appreciate everyone's input. Looks like it's time to get dirty...

Thanks,
Frank
Old 02-28-2009, 12:19 AM

Thanks Rattler... those were my thought too.

The fuel pressure was at 15psi while I was warming up the truck. There were no indicators that anything was going wrong up to that point. I only traveled ~ 1/2 mile to the freeway onramp but didn't check the gauge again. While cranking the engine over it will come up to (the normal) 15psi. Two shops have verified the AirDog is still working as it should -- that much I do believe.

The 1693 was the only code to display.

I'm going to have it towed back to my house. I've been checking on pricing and DIY instructions (off mopar1973man.com). I have a friend who was ASE certified in a previous life who has offered to help. I appreciate everyone's input. Looks like it's time to get dirty...

Thanks,
Frank
Frank the 1693 code indicates that their is another code stored you would need a dealer style scan tool to read it.
With the fuel pressure you have and the way the truck quit i would expect you had a circuit board or fuel shut off failure of the vp-44

Shop around a little you guys should be able to pick one up for $1000-$1200 and install it yourself - make sure you do not drop the drive keyway from the pump down into the timing cover.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:25 AM

frank
Another tip if your doing it at home, remove the injector lines in groups of three, (dont disconnect the connectors that tie the lines together) I only removed the front half of the lines and left the last three hooked to the injectors, but loosend them off at the VP end. the VP will come out just push the set of lines out of the way. this is much easier than trying to unhook the last three injector lines (not alot of room to swing a wrench in there)

First time (and only time so far) took me less than 2hrs to do. and I was putzing along while doing it!
Old 03-08-2009, 02:15 PM

I had the truck towed to my house and ordered a new VP44 and injectors. The VP44 showed up on Friday, so I installed it myself (with instructions from Mopar1973Man and phone support from J.P.). After struggling to find (rig up) a gear puller that would work, I was finally able to get the new one installed on Saturday. It is now up and running!!! The RV injectors should be here on Monday but with it running OK there is no rush to get them installed. Hopefulle we can get a warm/dry streak so I can get them installed without freezing my tail off. I'll adjust the valves at the same time.

Thanks again for all the input and help -- I greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Frank