24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine cuts back [long]

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine cuts back [long]

Ok here is what its doing. about a month ago i got home from a 65 mile pull my trailer weighs 8,000 lbs. i had no problems. i unhooked the trailer and the truck sat about 1/2 hour. i pulled out on my drive and was getting to speed when the truck abruptly cut off. it only acted up for 2 to 5 seconds. never happened again untill last thursday. same thing pulled the trailer in the yard sat about 1 hour and i left the yard and it did it again. i did watch the fuel pressure and it was between 9 and 11 psi when it happened. drove it 40 miles that night and it never happened again that day. saturday i pulled my trailer about 30 miles in the am no problems. it was hot and i left to come home and about 10 miles down the road it really started acting up. the truck is an 2002 with 60,000 miles. i keep it well maintained. i do have a super chips programer set up in the tow safe mode[lower setting]. i have gauges. the fuel pressure stays 9-11 psi when this happens. the pressure is measured between the lp and ip so i would know if i had a filter issue. water temp is 190-195. the boost is fine, pyro is in the 900-1,000 degree range measured pre turbo. the trans temp in the pan was about 165 degrees. i have no codes. when it acts up i can keep my foot in the pedal and it will cut out for 3-10 seconds and come back in. it almost acts like a gas motor when the fuel filter is plugged. but i am maintaining good fuel pressure to the ip pump. if i keep my foot out of it it will maintain 45 mph. if i step down on it in a short time it will cut back. it does not matter if i am in or out of overdrive. i got home and unhooked the trailer. hit the road again and as soon as the motor cooled down some and the transmission temperature dropped down to 150 degrees it quit doing it. i ran it wide open to 90 miles per hour several times and it was running normal. it almost seems like its heat related. i am wondering if the superchips programmer has anything to do with it. looking for ideas as to what i should do? thanks in advance for any one that can help.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like the electronics of the vp44 are acting up which means you'll have to buy the whole pump
Old 07-10-2005, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by 1ST GEN.
It sounds like the electronics of the vp44 are acting up which means you'll have to buy the whole pump
i agree that it could be a possibility. it sure seems like a heat issue at least that is what it seems. there again i might be just guessing. only reason why i say heat is that the first two times the motor was sitting a bit so it was heat saturated, yesterday when it was really bad the ambient temp was very hot and the transmission and motor temps were highest they have been all summer. they were still normal just higher. and when i got it cooled down a bit it ran perfect. like i said a guess on the heat. i thought that others might of had simular problems.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:39 PM

That makes sense, I think most of the electronic failures could be traced to high heat
Old 07-11-2005, 12:09 AM

This is what mine did, except it was during the pull. First time was in April Dead peddled onece then not again! Second time was in June, same thing. Once and then not again. This last weekend it gave up the ghost completly, would dead peddle about every quarter mile for almost 60 miles.
Just got done signing a 2800.00 bill for a new VP install. You should still have warent so I would get it to the dealer

Chris
Old 07-11-2005, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by ChrisM55
This is what mine did, except it was during the pull. First time was in April Dead peddled onece then not again! Second time was in June, same thing. Once and then not again. This last weekend it gave up the ghost completly, would dead peddle about every quarter mile for almost 60 miles.
Just got done signing a 2800.00 bill for a new VP install. You should still have warent so I would get it to the dealer

Chris
it sounds like yours was doing the exactly as mine is now. lack of fuel with the lp pumps failing caused excess heat and would kill the vp44 pump. i suppose now with the newer fuels and less lubricating qualities in the fuels can cause excess heat and then when you get a hot day and are working it the problem shows up. at first i thought it was the throttle sensor acting up however i played with it and holding my foot steady on the throttle the truck kept cutting out and back in. looks like it may be vp44 time. i have replaced the fuel filter 4 times in 60,000 miles and never had a lift pump failure, low pressure or have run the truck out of fuel. just kind of makes me mad even if it is warranty.

chrism55 did yours generate any codes?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:36 AM

Yeah, when I limped it into town, I got it to an Autozone and it threw 2 P0216 codes.

BTW, it runs better now than since I bought it!! much better low end power

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2005, 04:51 PM

Update. i do have the dreaded vp codes p1693 and p0216. looks like a hurting vp44.