24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Edge EZ Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:12 PM
SWC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edge EZ Question

The truck in my sig is nearly 10 years old. I must have had the EZ on for around 9 years and has performed flawlessly over this time. (Also put many a grin on my face!!!)
This weekend on a 4 hour trip the EZ did not work properly. The increased fueling in the lower RPM range was not working. The boost fooler part still worked as I could get the boost up to 28 to 30 psi.
I kept checking the gauges to see if the filter was plugged or if I had a boost leak.
I figured I would be looking for a new fueling box.
Now everything is back to normal on my drive to and from work.
On my trip I stopped several times for a short break but did not shut off the engine.
Any ideas as to what was going on or am I soon to be looking for a new box?
Sorry about the long post.
Stan
Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were I to guess based on the info presented, I'd suspect something other than the chip. But if it got contaminated, I'd guess the weakest link would be the little power selector sleeve thing inside it. Maybe it gummed up over time? A little dielectric grease on the clip thing might be the thing.

After 9 years I might have forgot, but under the end of the ez there's a little clip you use to select the low rpm fueling. Basically to "tune" it depending on the injector size. A little corrosion on it?

I'd be tempted to check the codes, too.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 AM
SWC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks totalloser for the ideas. Today is the first time I will have a chance to check into what may be causing the problem.
A little history... My drive to work is about 12 miles. The odd time in the last 9 months I have noticed a lack of power on a drive to or from work. I put some extra floor mats in the truck to not track stuff from work into the truck. I assumed that I was not getting full travel of the accelerator pedal. Now I think that what I observed on the weekend has happened previously.
Stan