24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ECM Reflash Question....

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECM Reflash Question....

OK you Dodge Techs out there! I need a quesiton answered. I have a 2001 SO 5 Speed. I Put in RJohnson's MAD ECM in over the weekend to try it out. Holy freaking cow Batman! But that is for another thread. We were going to swap ECM's for a while but we could not get my 2001 Stock ECM to work in his 2002 SO Auto 2500. We had a bad off idle surge and the oil pressure would not register. If you got some RPM under it....it was fine (As far as the surging, not the oil pressure). His ECM in my truck was flawless. No issues at all. What my question is, can you take my 2001 ECM and get it reflashed to work for the 2002 auto? I dont see the two being differant as far as hardware goes....just programing. If we can make this work....well do i have to explane? Thanks!

Dan
Old 07-12-2005, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dan

Was about to call you when I saw this thread. Found out some good info from local dealers cummins guy...might as well share with all.

1-ECM controls most of the auto tranny stuff, etc. These things are not controlled by the PCM as we, or I thought.
2-Once an ECM has been flashed with the VIN # of the vehicle it is going into...NO major changes are doable. Minor changes, like speedometer corrections...and reflash updates are ok...but can not reflash to a whole new vin # or model.
3-Told by Dodge electronics guy - If it works...it will work ok forever. If it does not run right...very little can be done, with one exception. Cummins techs can hook up their laptops (on 50 pin or 100 pin ECM's that cummins uses) and do any darn thing they want....but most won't.

I found an ECM from a 2001 Automatic...will be trying it on Thursday and will let you know.

Started similar thread last week... https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=71816

RJ
Old 07-12-2005, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll have to disagree. The JTEC controller (pcm) is on the automatic equipped trucks and monitors the trans. The ECM (cummins engine controller on the block) however does supply the JTEC with the APPS signal, but that would be the only thing remotely related to a trans input. Kick down is still cable operated from the APPS just like the torqueflights have been for years.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:22 AM

J BODY

Are you saying the 01 ECM should have worked in my truck if mine worked in his?

After trying the 01, 5 speed, stock ECM in my 02 and getting surging...we shut her down and did a full apps reset...than tried again. Still had the problems?

Also got the check engine light...due to no oil pressure reading?? Any ideas why this happened?

RJ
Old 07-13-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure what to tell you on the ecm swaps. Thats bad mojo in my line of work. I'm sure the trucks in discussion are still "dumb" enough to try swapping controllers back and forth, but alot of the new stuff you try that and you can ruin alot of things. I do know for certain that their are different part numbers for a manual APPS and automatic equipped APPS. I would think the idle validation would be different between the two.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:13 AM

ECM from an 01 automatic worked very well!

Still run into the low voltage scenario for the oil pressure gauge that caused problems on the 01's. No pressure reading...but good pressure! There is a TBS on it. Assuming I can get reflash for that??

RJ