24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ECM Computer

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECM Computer

Does anyone know where the cheapest place (and best) to get an ECM Computer for a 2002 2500 CTD?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:49 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Junk yard.

or, look here;
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...05&catalogid=1
Old 01-06-2006, 04:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
all new ecms now come without being programmed, u must got to dealer for them to program it..........just from what i have read in the past....
Old 01-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta ask why you need an ECM?

They almost never go bad, almost never.

phox
Old 01-07-2006, 10:34 PM

Well that was my question.

My truck would drive but had no power but I could hear the turbo spooling. and was giving me two codes: P0112 & P0237. Which my mechanic told me that the problem was the Boost (MAP)Sensor and the IAT Sensor. I replaced both of those and then they took it over to the dealership because they couldn't get the codes to reset. The dealership drove it and then they said it just died and now it won't start. They said that they got a reading that said "ECM internal failure". So they said that the ECM was bad. I must tell you that I replaced the fuel filter just before I took it down to the mechanic and it wouldn't start after I changed it fuel lines were good and everything so we pulled it (6 speed) and got it started. After that it ran the same, still with no power, but the turbo was spooling. So now I don't know what to do and I feel that the Mechanic/Dealer is giving me the run around and are going to replace everything until they find it. Also to make matters worse, the previous owner took the truck in with his Chip on the computer and the dealer tagged it as void of warranty. Can you tell that I am really happy about the stiuation? Any help would be great.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:17 AM

I'd tell the dealer that I will only pay for 1 part. Get the truck fixed.
Point is, they won't guess at the problem on my check book.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:40 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That stinks on the Voided Warranty part.

How many miles on the truck? I never really knew an ECM to be a thing that just "went bad" I would be afraid that something else caused it (if that's really the issue). There are a few diesel tech's on here that are more knowledgeable then most. I would think that any ECM from a cummins powered 2002 can be "reflashed" to work on your truck with your opitions. This approach should be much cheaper than letting them order a new one.

I hate throwing parts at problems, it sounds as if they may have already done that with the MAP and IAT.

How about if it dies when they are driving it, THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE??
It was running when you brought it in, right?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:53 PM

Talking That was it.

Well, got the truck back and that was the problem. As soon as my ECM was replaced the truck ran as it was supposed to. It's nice to be back in the truck now. I was without the truck for a little more than a week, and now that I have it back, I feel better. I don't know what it is, but I love driving my DODGE CTD!!!!!!! Anyone feel the same?
Old 01-15-2006, 09:43 AM

Ecm

Please be aware that if they didn't fix the problem that caused the ECM to fail it WILL fail again. This is one of the things that is in the book on replaceing the ECM's I have the ear of one gent but if there is another goooood tech on PCM & ECM's please please please PM me. I am going to camp shortly but will answer. A very long issure (since new) of gutless engine. Yesterday in the bottom half of the hill to get a run at the other side it laboured toooo hard so had to go up the hill in 3 rd gear.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:16 PM

i had the same problem. my truck just kept shutting off while driving down the road. luckily it wasnt when i was going highway speeds. but the only code it would throw is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). got it looked at, and replaced but still did it. It was the ECM as well. they arent cheap either. they couldnt reflash it, something short circuited in there somewhere and couldnt fix it.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:26 PM

I am having the same problems with my truck setting the 0237 and 0112 codes. So where did you get the ECM? Dealer only item? My mechanic is leaning towards an injection pump. Trying to avoid the cost of replacing it if this is not the problem. Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Chapter President

I'm no expert, but the 0112 is the IAT sensor, and the 0237 sounds like the MAP (boost sensor). I would start here first......both for less the $100 at Cummins dealer.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in shortly.

Originally Posted by NM_DSLMan
I am having the same problems with my truck setting the 0237 and 0112 codes. So where did you get the ECM? Dealer only item? My mechanic is leaning towards an injection pump. Trying to avoid the cost of replacing it if this is not the problem. Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 04:41 PM

Forgot to mention that the MAP and IAT were replaced on Saturday. Any more suggestions.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by NM_DSLMan
Forgot to mention that the MAP and IAT were replaced on Saturday. Any more suggestions.
Did you erase the codes with as scan tool? Battery disconnect will turn the CEL off, but not necessarily erase the codes.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:26 PM

That is exactly where I started

I started with the IAT and MAP Sensor (Boost Sensor). After both of those were replaced the truck still ran like a turd. After that the truck just wouldn't start, and the new code came up as: ECM internal Failure. So that is why we went and did the ECM. The ECM's almost never have problems. Unless I got that specific code I wouldn't go to the ECM quite yet. If you do need a new one the best/cheapest place that I found was a Dodge Dealer in Seattle [PHP]https://www.dodgeparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html?osCsid=577d854b88e29dc1df0ba c73c270fbf4 Don't look the part up just call them and they are very good about getting you what you need. They run about $1000 with a core refund of $250. Anyone else found them any cheaper? Don't tell me though because I will be ******!!! Good Luck.

Quick Reply: ECM Computer