24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dying Lift Pump - Walbro 392, but not on frame rail?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dying Lift Pump - Walbro 392, but not on frame rail?

Well, my lift pump appears to be on the way out...it's hesitating/stumbling/intermittent on startup, but once it's running, it's putting out a happy 15psi at idle. I've checked the connections and even tried running it hardwired and it still struggles. Sooooo, I bit the bullet and ordered a Walbro 392 and a bypass checkvalve.

However, with it being winter still and me not having a heated garage, I was wondering if I could do the following for the time being, and most likely relocate it to the frame rail come spring:
  • Put the Walbro where the existing lift pump is in the existing fuel lines (sourcing any adapter connections to make threads fit)
  • Wire up the pump with a relay triggered by the existing power to negate any overdraw of amperage from the different pump
  • Put the bypass check valve where the pre-filter test port is on the fuel filter and run a line from the output from that back to the tank

I know on the frame rail is preferred and not a difficult install, but if I don't have to fiddle with cutting fuel lines in the cold, I'd prefer that route.

I don't see why it wouldn't work...thoughts?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 PM

The artex replacment pumps are the same style as the walbro pump but you wont need the bypass it is set at around 16 psi from the factory it is also made to fit the stock location and lines.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by 9 sec camaro
The artex replacment pumps are the same style as the walbro pump but you wont need the bypass it is set at around 16 psi from the factory it is also made to fit the stock location and lines.
Is that the one Oreilly's carries? If so, how is the durability on that pump, anyone have many miles on them yet?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 PM

ive had mine if for about a month now and its working fine, when i can get the issopro isolator to work correctly it idles around 15psi and wot is about 8. i have stock fuel lines and airtex pump is mounted in stock location. not too bad of an install.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:35 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm not sure if the Walbro would like to suck fuel up to that height (and distance). May cause it to fail prematurely like the stock lift pump.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:19 AM

If the early failure of the OEM lift pumps is due to the added strain of pulling, it SEEMS like the Walbro is a more robust pump design and should be a bit more up to the challenge, especially considering that most of it's PSI is going to get bypassed anyway.

I wonder if cavitation might occur in the Walbro design if there's not enough fuel supply available when drawing that distance from the tank?
Old 01-12-2008, 02:41 AM
GFB

I guess you could install it there, but there's not much room. The time it would take to make it fit there would probably just as well be spent putting it on the frame rail. Just my opinion. If time spent in the cold is an issue, get the kit from glacier or wide open diesel. Comes with all the instructions and everything necessary. You could do it in a couple hours easy if you're motivated.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:43 PM

"Put the Walbro where the existing lift pump is in the existing fuel lines (sourcing any adapter connections to make threads fit)
Wire up the pump with a relay triggered by the existing power to negate any overdraw of amperage from the different pump
Put the bypass check valve where the pre-filter test port is on the fuel filter and run a line from the output from that back to the tank"

You can do all three and the Walbro will work.

While it is preferable to mount the Walbro by the tank, it will work in the location of the stock pump.

Next spring, be sure to move it by the tank, it will be happiest there.

The biggest problem with the stock pump is not the distance from the tank or its mounting height or its exposure to engine heat. The biggest problem is the built-in pressure regulator. The majority of the time the pump portion does not fail, it is the regulator that fails. You can significantly increase the life of the stock pump by adding a bypass regulator set to 12psi.

I bought a Walbro over a year ago and installed a bypass regulator first by the VP. Ever since then my Campaign pump has performed flawlessly and I am still waiting for it to fail so I can install the Walbro. Looks like I will have to wait a long time.