24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

DYI VP44 replacement or have shop do it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DYI VP44 replacement or have shop do it?

Whos done it themselves? Good idea or bad idea? Any special tools required? How long should it take?

If a shop should do it what is fair for the labor?
Old 02-06-2006, 12:58 PM

I did mine myself, just take you time no specialty tool needed, metric sockets and wrenchs and i used a small puller to get the gear off the pump shaft. the first time it took me about 2.5hrs to get it off, the second time "second pump"it took 1.5hr. the biggest pain was the OEM rear support bracket (You have to have this) was broken, you have to remove the power steering pump to get it off and put the new one back on. got it all back together and the bracket didn't line up, had to take it back apart and move the bracket up a little then it went together fine. do a search for instruction on here, there are the ones i used.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wes in TN
Whos done it themselves? Good idea or bad idea? Any special tools required? How long should it take?

If a shop should do it what is fair for the labor?
Just a selection of metric wrenches and sockets, a small steering wheel puller from Autozone and about 4-5 hrs. of your time! The key on the pump shaft is what you need to be careful with.

Get a HRVP-44 from Industrial Injection, well worth the extra $$$!!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:49 PM

I talked to a local diesel tech and he told me basically the same thing. Are there any write-ups online that might help get me started?
Old 02-06-2006, 05:13 PM

I'm half way into pulling the bad VP44 out. I've got all the lines off, the electrical connector off, and four mounting nuts off the back side of the timing cover. I have crank case vent pulled to expose that nut. Besides the large nut that is accessed from the front of the timing cover what else is holding the injector pump on? I ran out of daylight before I could tear into it any further. I haven't pulled the power stering pump. It doesn't look like I will need to unless I am missing something. What am I missing? A diesel tech I spoke with mentioned aligning a "keyway" facing up so that it wouldn't drop down but didn't bother to clarify what he was talking about. Does anyone have any idea what he meant and what I need to do?
Old 02-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Banned

Here is a link about the VP44 and how it works.

Here is the best VP44 Replacement info compiled in one place.

The puller that is mentioned in the second link is without a doubt worth its weight in gold. It is quite the handy gadget. As for the keyway, it is mentioned in the second link as well. I am on good terms with the diesel tech at our local dealer so I just used the crankshaft barring tool to position the keyway at 1200. I had one of my employees watch the keyway with mirror while I cranked.

These two links should get you feeling comfortable about changing it yourself. It's really not that tough.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Registered

do it yourself. im 15 and changed one in under 3 hours. no sweat.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A 3/4" crow's-foot or crow's-foot-line-wrench is handy. I use th eline wrench version on the injector lines at th epump, and on the head for 5 and 6.
I will echo what others have said, get the keyway to HIGH NOON before you pull the gear off the pump, unless you WANT to pull the timing cover off. Don't ask how I know.

Chris
Old 02-06-2006, 06:51 PM

I'm still unclear how you tell when the keyway is at the 12 o'clock position. Once the gear is pulled will the pump come right out easily?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Once you get the shaft nut off, and the washer, you will be able to see the knotch in the shaft, where the key is. From that point, turn the engine, I suggest using the crankshaft bolt if you don't have a turning tool, to get the key to the 12:00 position.

This is the grear, without the pump shaft through it. It's obvious that you will be able to see the knotch for the key in the gear,

Chris
Old 02-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Registered

use a little mirror to see inside the hole , or you can take a little screwdriver and feel for it
Old 02-06-2006, 07:25 PM

This is all good stuff! I'm doing mine next weekend, so, Wes in TN, I hope you don't mind if I piggy-back on this thread.

I know there's a specific gear puller made for this, but what should be used in the event you don't have that puller?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:46 PM

I would use the alternator nut to turn the motor if you don't have a barring tool.

It's easier, and a little more precise. (It will only turn the motor backwards though!)

Merrick
Old 02-07-2006, 12:55 AM

You need a fairly large torx to remove the brackets, well at least on mine you did. It was like a t40 I think.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:11 PM

It wasn't bad at all. I got a tool made to pull the gear from a local diesel shop and it made that part of the job a breeze. The hardest part was wrestling with the injector lines. I ended up having to change the pump out in the dark in ~35 degree weather. Despite that I got the job done in about 5 hours total. Simple job any competent shade tree mechanic can handle.

Quick Reply: DYI VP44 replacement or have shop do it?