24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dual lift pumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dual lift pumps

While on the phone yesterday to order a new VP the rep told me that they recommend installing two lift pumps in tandem. He claims this setup is the way to go!!! Anybody tried this?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:50 AM

I had this setup for some time useing two carter pumps. it worked good. I got aboy 25psi at idle and couldn't pull it down past 15psi. cheap and easy to fix it.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:07 AM

I run a pusher and love it, in my truck my fuel pressure is crazy high, it sticks my 30lb guage and never backs off....ever. I have the carter 7lb rv pump (I don't remember the #....maybe 4601rv). I have a friend running the same setup w/ same results. he blew the seal in the vp cost him $4.00 for a new one who knows if it was related, he has plenty of gremlins in his truck, I have 70k + with no ill results, if I have my info right there is a internal bypass in the vp44 that opens at 4-5lbs, so the extra fp should be getting back to the tank via return line.

the one big advantage, aside from being easier on the lp is, if one fails the other can provide enough pressure to keep you alive. never heard of two going down at the same time.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=high country]I run a pusher and love it, in my truck my fuel pressure is crazy high, it sticks my 30lb guage and never backs off

I too run a pusher pump 29psi at idle 25psi at 70mph. Quick and easy to install,gives you peace of mind.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
i have two carter 7 psi pumps mounted on the frame. i removed the oem pump from the engine because it was leaking and added a second pusher pump, my pressure was 22 psi with the stock pump & one 7 psi pusher.... pressure is now a rock solid 14 psi at idle & never drops below 10 when i`m getting on it..... i also think too much pressure is not good (more than 20psi)
Old 04-12-2006, 08:57 PM

Both B-D and Bully Dog both have a pusher kit. I run the B-D and it has an oil pressure switch that doesn't turn the pusher on until it the engine starts. That way there are no hard starts. The B-D comes with an additional Carter and the Bully dog uses as Holley Blue I believe. You can just buy a spare pump, a Bosch relay and a few fittings, hose and wire and do it yourself though. We did that on a good friends truck.

Good luck, Matt

PS. Fuel pressure is about 28 psi
Old 04-12-2006, 09:46 PM

if you run a relay off the stock harness you will not have hard starts, the only reason it starts hard is if it has too much pressure before you start it....like if you relayed off the key on
Old 04-12-2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by johnh
i have two carter 7 psi pumps mounted on the frame. i removed the oem pump from the engine because it was leaking and added a second pusher pump, my pressure was 22 psi with the stock pump & one 7 psi pusher.... pressure is now a rock solid 14 psi at idle & never drops below 10 when i`m getting on it..... i also think too much pressure is not good (more than 20psi)

I did the vulcan big line kit with the OEM lift pump relo and I see the same pressure as above using 1 lift pump.

Just thought I would chime in.....

Joe
Old 04-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
XJJOE is right. You can get as good or better results by putting in larger fuel lines. While I am not familiar with the Vulcan kit, I made my own. I have 1/2 fuelines from the filter all the way to the VP44 with a 4601HP located in the stock location & a constant 13.5 volts going to it so it doesn't fluctuate the fuel pressure. I just clipped into one of the ignition wires right up over the LP on the firewall. I have it so I can unplug it for regular use, or plug it up when pulling heavy or just wanting to use my goodies installed on my truck. Since doing this to my truck & several others, I have never seen anymore LP or VP pump problems. Those small, tiny fuel lines is the reason the carter LP's die an early death. That has been my experience anyway. More than 20 lbs of pressure is way too much & you are only asking for more problems.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by BIGHEAD
More than 20 lbs of pressure is way too much & you are only asking for more problems.
I`m running a BD pusher pump,with 29psi at idle.Surely the relief valve in the vp44 will just return the excess fuel back to the tank without causing any problems.
Also I`m led to believe that the extra fuel through extra pressure going to the vp44 helps keep it cooler.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yam if you say so brother. There are plenty of guys on here that will tell you that more than 20 only causes you hard starts & other problems with your VP44. Now think about what you said also: The VP44 has a relief valve that returns the fuel back to the tank. If this is the case, then I suspect that the extra fuel you mention is not making a path all the way through the VP44 anyway, it is by-passing. Does that make sense? So, therefore it is not doing anything in the way of extra lubing or cooling, but rather just putting more pressure to the VP than it was designed for. I am in no way an expert on what the maximum thresh hold is for the pumps components. I do know that when I had 2 carters hooked in line, my truck would not hardly crank, especially on cold mornings, because of the 26psi I was seeing. The 18 psi I get out of my 4601HP & the larger fuel lines, more than takes care of my issues. I have had zero fuel problems since going to my current system & it has been in place for over 2 years now. That theory of having a back up if one goes down is a non issue to me as well. I carry an extra VP & new LP anytime I hit the road on a long distance trip. I have not had to replace the VP on the road, but several years ago, I was glad I had that new LP under the seat. Road side fix & on my way.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:09 PM

Bighead, the hard start condition is not caused by having two pumps, it is caused by having two pumps poorly installed. if you were to relay your pusher off the stock harness or a hobbs switch activated by oil pressure the hard start would not exist. at startup there is not supposed to be much fuel pressure 0-2 psi on all the trucks i see. as for the big line kit 100% agree bigger is better but 1/2" line is wothless w/out the fittings to finish the job, the hole in the banjos are microtiny.....they are the area of most restriction.

your theroy on the extra fuel not doing any cooling seems really hard for me to understand also. if cool fuel flows to the vp and is not used and flows THROUGH the pump and back to the tank how is it to leave w/out taking heat with it? I see guys running 1st gen lps on 24v trucks and the pressure tey put out is higher yet.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:49 AM

The hole is still in the blocks to run a mechanical lift pump?
Tell me more.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Stevie G
The hole is still in the blocks to run a mechanical lift pump?
Tell me more.
you can run the mechanical pump if you do a cam update, the 24v camshaft does not have a fuel pump lobe
Old 04-14-2006, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the input

Thanks for all the replies that you guys have posted. I'm leaning towards replacing the fuel lines and adding the pusher pump, as well as the fuel pressure guage. Sure wish the Dodge dealer would have told me about the lift pump issues. Sure wish I had known about this site when I bought the truck.!!![

Quick Reply: Dual lift pumps