24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

drop in k&n air filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drop in k&n air filters

so i was running one of those filters on my truck. but for some reason ever since i installed it it felt like it cut a bit of my top end power out and my fuel miallege did seem that great as before.

anyways today i went back to the stock paper element with a foam pre filter and the truck feels alot better.

is there an issue with the k&n filters on these trucks?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:25 PM

I have no scientific data here but I have ben happy with mine. I have no dyno test but I noticed a sooner and louder turbo whine when I installed my K&N. Just remember to let it dry completely (or get a swapper to have ready to install) and do not over-oil the filter. This will leave an oil deposit in your turbo and everywhere else downstream..
Old 09-21-2007, 10:26 AM

I agree with above. Mileage may be a little better, but it will not clog like the paper and offers increased air flow, while maintaining the the cool air intake from the fender. I also grease the seals on bothe sides of the filter so that it seals completely when closed up. Most people recommend not servicng these too often, which causes problems. I think somewhere between 50-100k. I have almost 40k, and it looks dirty. I am told they just work better this way.
There are many on the site that have had bad luck with the K&N drop in, but many like them.
Good luck!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:58 AM

Service interval needs to be dependent on service conditions as with any filter. At a minimum, visually inspect at each oil change to determine if it needs cleaning. Basicly, if it looks like there is any buildup on the intake side your getting flow restriction and needs sevicing.

The two most common mistakes made are:

Failure to allow proper drying

Over oiling