24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

the dreaded dead peddle!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the dreaded dead peddle!

Ok guys, My truck now has the dreaded dead peddle syndrome. Its a 2002 2500 5spd with 73,000mi. I replaced the lift pump and relay and it did improve but started cutting out again. I replaced the lift pump again thinking I just got a bad one (it's a Carter), but I am still getting an intermittent dead peddle at about 1500 rpm when my truck is hot. Granted I have many signs to indicate a bad IP; had some water in my filter canister, a bad LP, got the codes for the lift pump (p0230) and injector pump (pO216); but I'm really thinking it could be the APPS sensor. Here's why: I get the dead peddle at about the same RPM every time in 3rd 4th or 5th gear, there is no smoke when it craps out, and it starts fine every time. It's been a month now and if it was the VP44, wouldn't it have gone by now? I really thought I had it narrowed down to the sensor, but after reading your forums, I'm concerned I may be spending $400 on a sensor and another $1200 on the IP. Advice???? would you replace the sensor first or just invest in the new pump?
Old 07-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't want to give you false hope, but why not try the APPS reset first?

This procedure has shown to help 24 valve ISB engines. It is basically teaching the fly by wire accelerator on these trucks to reread the position of the pedal and it's limits. Most complaints this will help with is poor acceleration, improper shifting, bucking in 5 and 6 speeds. Has been known to increase fuel mileage in some instances.

1. Set parking brake
2. Disconnect negative battery cables on both batteries
3. Turn ignition key to run(to drain any remaining capacitors)
4. Let truck sit for 30 minutes( this is the recommended minimum)
5. Return ignition to OFF position
6. Reconnect both batteries and secure, not a timed event
7. Turn key to run position(not start) and depress accelerator pedal slowly all the way to the floor
8. Allow pedal to return to top position slowly
9. Turn ignition switch OFF
10.Release parking brake
Old 07-05-2006, 03:27 PM

Thanks, I had seen this mentioned before but I couldn't find the procedure outlined anywhere. I'll try that this evening, and I will certainly let you know if it works.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:07 PM

you need a new injection pump - P0216 - injection pump timing failure, this is an internal pump failure, apps reset won't fix a bad pump. Check you fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge while driving heavy throttle up a hill. And add a fuel pressure gauge or warning light kit to prevent this from happening again. Intermittent power loss is extremely common with bad vp, I have had customers drive like that for quite a while. But do you want to fix it at home or get towed in while on vacation?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:20 AM

Well, I did the reset and test drove it yesterday evening. It seemed to do the trick. I went to autozone and had my codes cleared so I would notice if I got it again. On the way to work this morning, I noticed the slightest hesitation in the throttle once, checked the codes, and yes...............p0216 . I guess that's that.
One more thing though. It really did seem better last night, but I had a full tank. Is that possibly why it seemed better to me?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:22 AM

The VP44 runs better on cool fuel so on a failing VP44 like mine, a full tank meant better starts and more power than running on an empty tank. Mine got to the point where it wouldn't start after the engine was warm.

You will be suprised in the difference a new pump will make, especially if your pump has been dieing slowly.

good luck.