24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Don't let your rear Shackles rust too much...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol What is this about concrete and filling down your shackles?? I have read about guys putting concrete in their bed for weight, smoothness, etc,haha.

And yes I'm replacing both Shackles. They will hopefully be in today, or friday so I should have them on for the weekend. Shouldn't take me too long to change either, as long as nothing else falls apart
Old 02-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned

I noticed all the paint had peeled off mine too and they were pretty rusty. I'll have to take a closer look and see if the surface rust has gotten deeper.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
I noticed all the paint had peeled off mine too and they were pretty rusty. I'll have to take a closer look and see if the surface rust has gotten deeper.
Yea over the last well year when I would wash the truck I would look at the rust. Usually every month it would be a little worse than the previous month, and well I guess this winter they decided to give up,lol.

Here are my new ones...

Going to hopefully get them installed later on today before my shift at work. Also going to check my front hangers that the front of the rear spring rides in.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:20 AM

Man when I saw that first pic I was thinking this guy must be from ontario then I looked in the corner and you are. The rust out there is brutal, one of my sisteres friends who was from ontario got me to swap the box on her s10 cuz it was kinda rusty and had been run into, anyways when I was taking the box off only 3 of the bolts were holding the box on all the other supports had rusted away, so when I got the box off you should have seen how thin the frame was it was rusted like halfway through on the whole thing and the spare tire was gone becouse it rusted away and fell off well she was going down the road and the thing just smelled like ruust. It was Bad. If I bought a vehcle out there I think the first thing Id do is rhino line the complete underneath of it.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by mopar-or-no-car
If I bought a vehcle out there I think the first thing Id do is rhino line the complete underneath of it.

Does that actually work good?
Old 03-01-2008, 02:01 AM

Yea the salt out here is stupid. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do come spring/summer time. Might take it somewhere or do it myself and clean the frame all up and then coat it with bed liner or something.

Here are some pics I took today while working on it, and as you can see, the rust sucks!!

Old 03-01-2008, 02:06 AM

Those new shackles look good.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:23 AM

Wow, I guess it pays to be diligent. The other night, coming down the road and BANG. Felt like I hit a deer or something. It felt like it was in the front, inspected the front axle and suspension and nothing. I should have looked at the rear, instead I drove it for a few days, it actually drove fine hahah.
So yesterday I was crawling around underneath and found this...

Hangers look soso, I wonder how hard they are to replace?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
i think if i lived in a rust area, i would make new ones from stainless steel
Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mopar-or-no-car
Man when I saw that first pic I was thinking this guy must be from ontario then I looked in the corner and you are. The rust out there is brutal, one of my sisteres friends who was from ontario got me to swap the box on her s10 cuz it was kinda rusty and had been run into, anyways when I was taking the box off only 3 of the bolts were holding the box on all the other supports had rusted away, so when I got the box off you should have seen how thin the frame was it was rusted like halfway through on the whole thing and the spare tire was gone becouse it rusted away and fell off well she was going down the road and the thing just smelled like ruust. It was Bad. If I bought a vehcle out there I think the first thing Id do is rhino line the complete underneath of it.
is it time for a class action law suit? when they use salt on the roads it isn't that bad!! calcium chloride is some bad stuff, or maybe it is Magnesium chloride

http://pollard.mnsi.net/calvsmag.html
Fact

Magnesium chloride is more corrosive to the metals found on roadways.
The Corrosion Data Survey published by the National Association of Corrosion Engineers indicates that MgCl2 is more than twice as corrosive to 304 stainless steel than CaCl2. The NACE survey also indicates that MgCl2 can be 10 times more corrosive to mild steel than CaCl2.
In addition, Pollard offers additives that provide even greater protection for concrete reinforcements, bridge decks, metal rebar in parking structures and metal highway components. These can reduce corrosion by more than 70% when compared to standard road salt.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:20 PM

this may be a stupid question but how did you get the top bolt in? the one that goes threw the spring. ive gat an 02 that is going to need changed before the weather gets much nice out. the paint was a bubbled up and when i pealed it off there was a quarter size hole in one of them.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by dezl-andy
this may be a stupid question but how did you get the top bolt in? the one that goes threw the spring. ive gat an 02 that is going to need changed before the weather gets much nice out. the paint was a bubbled up and when i pealed it off there was a quarter size hole in one of them.
Not stupid at all, I couldn't figure out how to get the big torx or whatever socket back there. I used to work for the Dodge dealer 1 mile from my house, I ran it up there and let them do it.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 PM

im a tight a$$ and would like to do it my self if i can. looks like u could cut the bolt off a few times to get it out, wander if you can put it back in the opposite direction?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by dezl-andy
im a tight a$$ and would like to do it my self if i can. looks like u could cut the bolt off a few times to get it out, wander if you can put it back in the opposite direction?
I am too, but I was feeling under the weather, plus they hooked me up. I tried cutting the bolt, and just got frustrated with the lack of room.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:55 PM

We use salt out here on the west coast (imported from Mexico, I barge a lot of it 7000 metric tonnes at a time ), because of our higher low temperatures. problem with salt is it doesn't work at lower temps and you get to use nasty corrosive stuff instead.

Quick Reply: Don't let your rear Shackles rust too much...