24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Don't ever hear turbo whine-is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't ever hear turbo whine-is this normal?

Hi, I picked up my first CTD last week and have been doing tons of reading on this site and making lists of maintenance/upgrades based on all the good info here. The truck is a 2001 quad cab 4x4 auto with Banks exhaust, no other mods. My concern is that since I picked up the truck I have never heard the turbo whine, and this weekend I took off the silencer ring and I still can not hear the turbo no matter how hard I drive it. It seems to spin free with no play, and I can start it up with the intake boot off and see it spinning so do I have a problem I should be looking for? I know I need to put a gauge on it and see if it's making boost and I'll be doing that as soon as I get a gauge, but I found it odd that I can't ever hear it.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good .... it's not only me, I have had the truck since new and I don't hear it either. Although I can feel it kick in right at about 1,700 RPM's if I am getting on it a little.

Maybe this "WHINE" is out of our hearing range, who knows.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:52 AM

I could barely hear mine, even without the silencer ring, until I got rid of my factory airbox and replaced it with a BHAF. Now it really sings
Old 10-09-2007, 02:52 PM

i dunno, im running a stock airbox with no silencer ring and it sounds like a freakin jet at the right load/rpm. but regardless i can most always hear the whine. it seemed to increase when i went with a straight pipe.

and for some reason other trucks just sound better. when my buddy with an 00 took his ring out it was ungodly loud compared to mine. both runnin hx35's both stock
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM

Drydock, does that Banks kit have a muffler? Is running the stock downpipe?

I have 4" turbo back, BHF, and a banks muffler. My turbo isn't near as loud as some, but I can hear it, and I like it that way, I prefer to hear the motor, not the turbo (don't want it to sound like a flowerpoke either)

But yeah, if you want to hear it sing, put on a BHF, cut the hole like for a Scotty, and take off the muffler, it'll sound like a jet airplane.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:11 PM

You need a bhaf or other aftermarket intake in order to really hear it. Even then, don't expect too much. It's not going to sound like a Powerstroke.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:04 PM

The Banks kit is a 4" turbo back with muffler. I took the ring out just as an experiment to see what it sounded like, I don't really want to have a loud turbo. When I couldn't hear it all all I thought maybe there's a problem. I remember test driving a truck identical to mine that was completely stock and I could hear the turbo as I accelerated down an on-ramp.

I took it for a ride this afternoon with a scanner hooked up to monitor the MAP sensor and see what the computer is seeing for boost. My scanner reading was 58.6 inHG with the engine off (atmospheric pressure). Now I'm thinking that should be around 30 so maybe a bad MAP sensor, or maybe I'm way off base here. I don't think that has anything to do with the quiet turbo, just something else to check out.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:30 PM

Maybe a hole in the intercooler boot, common place is near the fender on the drivers side.
I cant hear my turbo boosting but mine "barks" when I let off the throttle quickly.
I have a boost gauge as well so I know mine makes boost, you need a gauge as testing by sound is not accurate, and the gauge also helps diagnoise problems as the occur.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:17 AM

You're not gonna hear it with the stock air box. And it won't be loud until you add some power. Then it will really sing!