24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Do I need gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need gauges?

some of you have read my recent posts about my truck being in the shop getting the injector pump replaced. Here's the thing, the diesel tech said he was going to take it and do a pressure test. Now I got to thinking, If I had some sort of gauges could I have seen the fuel pressure change while it was acting up? I know the stock gauges are better than having none, like some vehicles. But, I'm thinking if I bit the bullet and put after-market gauges in then that would be even better. Would it have made a difference? <br><br>Thanks<br>Patti<br>
Old 05-13-2003, 06:14 PM

Re:Do I need gauges?

Yes with a fuel pressure guage you would have known the LP was bad and had it changed. Will the guages always save the injection pump don't know , but they are worth the money.<br>Scooter
Old 05-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your VP44 failed the same way mine did, the guages wouldn't have helped any.<br><br>The dealer did a pressure test and found it to be still well within specs, I did my own shortly after getting the VP44 replaced, and it was still well within specs.<br><br>There are thousands upon thousands of our trucks on the roads without guages of any kind, and they are running great and will continue to run great.<br>Ignorance is bliss, what you can't see can't hurt you, etc.<br><br>Personally I think guages are only important once you start turning things up more than they were stock.<br>Add more fuel, as in injectors or fueling boxes, then you need to monitor lift pressure more.<br>More fuel equals more heat, therefore the addition of an EGT guage.<br>More fuel needs more air, therefore a boost guage.<br>More power equals more HP and Torque, therefore the addition of a tranny temp guage.<br><br>As soon as I can afford it, I'll be getting a fuel pressure guage, as I don't want to be without my truck for a week again, while the dealer waits for a new injection pump to arrive.<br><br>Once I start increasing fuel and air, then I'll be getting the other guages.<br><br>If I didn't know about websites like these, I'd be one of the ignorant (not a bad word) people driving their trucks daily without a problem, but if I didn't find these websites, I probably wouldn't be driving a Cummins.<br><br><br>phox
Old 05-13-2003, 11:53 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

There are thousands upon thousands of our trucks on the roads without guages of any kind, and they are running great and will continue to run great.<br>Ignorance is bliss, what you can't see can't hurt you, etc.
<br><br>Gauges are to you like a stethoscope is to doctor. You might think all is well with your heart unless there is a problem with your health. If you were hooked to a vitals monitor all the time you could tell if something was not right with your body and take care if it early.<br><br>
Personally I think guages are only important once you start turning things up more than they were stock.
<br><br>Not true. There are lots of things that could lead to dangerously high EGT's. Plus adding an EZ will lower your EGT's than stock, only because this is a timing box not a fueling box.<br><br>I just added a Dakota Digital FP gauge that has programable high and low warnings. Very cool!
Old 05-14-2003, 10:57 AM
Banned

All of my Dakota gauges have that. It's really slick. Saved me a couple of times to. ;D
Old 05-14-2003, 11:35 AM

Even without BOMBing, for a diesel engine the pyrometer and fuel pressure gauges are as necessary as the oil pressure, engine temp etc. IMHO when you want to keep the rig for a long, long time or just take care of it and avoid repairs while you've got it. The boost gauge is nice, let's you tune, tweak, etc. and you can drive by it to improve fuel mileage.<br><br>The pyrometer will let you know when it's SAFE to shut down. My STOCK ETH took longer than I though it would and that was after driving a VERY bombed 93.<br><br>The fuel pressure gauge (intalled after the filter) will help avoid VP44 replacement caused by dead lift pumps and notify you when the fuel filter needs replaced.<br><br>Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:24 PM

Ol Blue said it well 8)
Old 05-14-2003, 12:26 PM

I guess the answer is one of those that depends on who you ask. Not to add fuel here but will adding any of these gauges void my warranty at all? <br><br>Provided I go with adding gauges is there a nice way to do it? I want it to look like the gauges are suppose to be there not just thrown in somewhere. The truck wasn't cheap and I don't want it to look like it was.<br><br><br>Let me ask this, If it was yours what would you put in it?<br><br><br>Patti
Old 05-14-2003, 03:15 PM

I installed mine on a 3 gauge full pillar pod. It didn't block the view as much as I thought. You don't have to take your eyes off the road to see them. There are lots of ways to mount, look around at the vendors here on this site and you'll see something you like. The Rod's pods are located very well.<br><br>As far as warranty goes, it will depend on the dealer. Some may cancel your warranty for driving outdoors Make sure you leave test valves on pre and post filter for them to test fuel pressure. They prolly won't remove your gauge line to use their tester. When you drill the manifold for pyro probe, it will no longer be covered, and niether will the turbo if the probe burns off and goes thru it. But IMHO they should not be able to void warranty of parts that are not related to your installation of gauges.<br>just my 0.02<br>wk
Old 05-14-2003, 03:25 PM

Right on TXRAM2!

There are gauges and mounting methods that look so &quot;factory&quot; it's almost scary (need thunder and a lightning bolt here)

If in doubt about the warranty, go talk to the service manager. I do on things like this that &quot;shouldn't&quot; void the warranty or cause issues. He seems to appreciate me being upfront and honest, and I feel he's being honest with me. Don't waste his time though, I pierced the pump wire and I'm not going to ask him if my VP44 is still covered ;D

If you get a service department that tells you your overhead console is no longer under warranty because you run too much air in your tires...........go somewhere else!!!
Old 05-14-2003, 07:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanx to this site I RAN not walked to my dodge dealer with my truck. He is replacing the lift pump tomorrow.<br><br>Big question is: DO THEY REPLACE THE LIFT PUMP WITH ANOTHER ONE OF THE SAME DESIGN OR MODEL??????? I HOPE NOT. IF THEY DO I THINK THAT BASICALLY GUARANTEE'S ME I'LL HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT AGAIN, AND THAT IS IRRITATING JUST TO THINK ABOUT. BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO BRINK UP &quot;IS THERE A BETTER AFTERMARKET ONE&quot; WITH THE DEALER., BEFORE I KNEW FOR SURE MINE WAS SHOT TO HELL.<br><br>I asked him about installing a fuel pressure guage, he said they didn't do that stuff and it was all aftermarket. Then he called me later on and said he could do it but the guage would be $260 and installation would be more on top of that.<br>I think I'll just buy one and put one in myself. I don't believe one should be that expensive to deal with.<br>
Old 05-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Puke link=board=4;threadid=14687;start=0#138225 date=1052958371]<br>Big question is: DO THEY REPLACE THE LIFT PUMP WITH ANOTHER ONE OF THE SAME DESIGN OR MODEL??????? I HOPE NOT. IF THEY DO I THINK THAT BASICALLY GUARANTEE'S ME I'LL HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT AGAIN, AND THAT IS IRRITATING JUST TO THINK ABOUT. BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO BRINK UP &quot;IS THERE A BETTER AFTERMARKET ONE&quot; WITH THE DEALER., BEFORE I KNEW FOR SURE MINE WAS SHOT TO HELL.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Pretty much the same make and model.<br>Cummins has updated it a couple time over the years, and supposedly the latest incarnation is less prone to problems than previous years.<br><br>I doubt it since I heard the same thing about the pumps in the 2002's and already a number have reported having to replace their's already.<br><br>Depending on the year of your truck, you might get a couple generations newer lift pump.<br><br>Get the FP guage, and leave Dodge out of it.<br>Even if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, it will still be cheaper haveing someone other than the Dealer install it.<br><br><br>phox