24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

difficulty shifting into 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
difficulty shifting into 4x4

hey ,

i seem to be having trouble getting into 4x4 at higher speeds.

if i seem to recall correctly - i used to be able to pull into 4H while travelling around 60-70kmh (35-45 mph) or maybe even higher.

this year i can't get it in 'nicely' unless i am under 30 kmh (18 mph).

is my memory bad and this is normal, or should it slide in at higher speeds?

TIA!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I often shift mine in and out of 4H at 80kph on the Whitemud freeway. I would look for a vacuum leak to the front axle disconnect.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Mine is harder to shift into
4X4 when its cold out and if it has been sitting for a while.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does fluid level have to do anything with it? Maybe check/change it
Old 01-19-2011, 11:36 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
There's a synchronizer in the transfer case that spins up the driveshaft to meet the drive speed. I've heard of this wearing out and causing engaging problems if the trucks speed is to fast. Maybe you should check the transfer case lube.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:11 PM

the one in front is the old syncronizer, the new one is in the back. I dont think it is wise to be engauging the transfer at those speeds.i bet the owners manual dont advise it.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:21 PM

With all due respect to those of you that are shifting into 4-whell at those speeds...you are pretty much answering your own question.

Slow to a crawl before rippin' it into gear. Can't imagine a scenario where you have to have 4-wheel at high speed...
Old 01-22-2011, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by cstewart
With all due respect to those of you that are shifting into 4-whell at those speeds...you are pretty much answering your own question.

Slow to a crawl before rippin' it into gear. Can't imagine a scenario where you have to have 4-wheel at high speed...
I agree..... As much as I think there's plenty of scenarios which would involve driving in 4wd at around 45 mph, I dont see the reason why anyone would try and engage 4wd at anything above around 10 mph. Not only is it dangerous since you'd better be on slippery ground to need 4wd in the first place but if you are then simply the process of engaging in 4wd could cause an accident.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 AM

I believe the owners manual says up to 80 KPH. I have always maintained there is absolutely no point in engaging 4X4 after the accident or hitting the ditch. If the gears are turning the same speed that is the tires are the same circumference, the gears will just slide in just don't force it give the CAD time to engage and spin up the gears. The worn synchros could be from CAD not engaging fast enough, low fluid level, tires not the same circumference or just plain incorrect shifting, it can't be from shifting at too high a speed if it was 5th gear synchros would be worn out also. It's not about vehicle speed it's about the difference in speed between the gears that are trying to mesh.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
I believe the owners manual says up to 80 KPH. I have always maintained there is absolutely no point in engaging 4X4 after the accident or hitting the ditch. If the gears are turning the same speed that is the tires are the same circumference, the gears will just slide in just don't force it give the CAD time to engage and spin up the gears. The worn synchros could be from CAD not engaging fast enough, low fluid level, tires not the same circumference or just plain incorrect shifting, it can't be from shifting at too high a speed if it was 5th gear synchros would be worn out also. It's not about vehicle speed it's about the difference in speed between the gears that are trying to mesh.
No Busboy. You're confusing CAD axles with non-CAD axles. On a non-CAD axle truck (usually '01.5-'02 on up) the driveshaft is full time which means its always spinning at road speed, so when you pull the transfercase lever into 4hi then there's no synchronization necessary between the front driveshaft and the front axle since they're already spinning at the same speed. They just fall into place unless the front and rear tires or gears are different. BUT.....on a CAD axle the front drive shaft is part time which means its NOT spinning at road speed, so when you pull the transfercase lever into 4hi, the syncro has to spin the driveshaft up to match road speed so that the CAD unit can engage. The CAD will not and cannot engage until the front driveshaft matches the road speed. The reason the syncro wears out is because the driveshaft is heavy and guys are trying to force it into 4wd at unnecessary speeds. You cant compare abuse the transfercase syncro has to sometimes endure to the manual tranny syncros.....unless you dont like to use the clutch and aren't good at matching RPM's to road speed.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
No Busboy. You're confusing CAD axles with non-CAD axles. On a non-CAD axle truck (usually '01.5-'02 on up)
The live front axle was in late '02, just before the third gens came along.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
The live front axle was in late '02, just before the third gens came along.
That was the idea but you'll see some '01.5's with some '02 parts (like the non-CAD axle) because they stopped supplying the assembly lines with '01 parts and had to pull from the '02 supply. Thats where the '01.5 comes from. Some '01.5's had rear disc's, but no inner fenders, no rear cup holders, no under hood insulation, etc.....
Old 01-22-2011, 04:27 PM

I'm looking at the operating manual that came with the truck. On page 133 it states that..... "shifts between 2H and 4H can be made while the vehicle is moving or stopped. If the vehicle is moving shifts can be made at any speed up to 55MPH. The shift will be easier if you momentarily release the accelerator pedal. Apply a constant force while shifting the transfer case."
Old 01-22-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I do release throttle when shifting into 4H every time.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you have a good not to heavy gear oil in the front axle. A few years ago when I was doing the diffs I added synthetic 75w140 the same oil I run in the rear into the front. Bad choice and poor 4 x 4 shifting. I changed to a synthetic 75w90 and no more issues. I can easily shift at any speed.

Quick Reply: difficulty shifting into 4x4