24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Diesel bucks or hard to accelerate @ 2000+ rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel bucks or hard to accelerate @ 2000+ rpm

Hi I just purchased a 1998 dodge ram with a 24 valve cummins and I have noticed that quite often the truck is hard to accelerate after 2000 rpms. It kinda feels like the truck is bucking or fuel cutting. Has anyone else ever seen this problem. The truck has 62000 miles on it, and I'm not sure what would cause it. I checked the fuel filter and it did not look to bad, so I am sort of lost.<br><br>Thanks<br>Matt
Old 02-03-2003, 11:34 PM

Re:Diesel bucks or hard to accelerate @ 2000+ rpm

Check your lift pump it's behind &amp; below the fuel filter it is probably dead.<br><br>DRecu!
Old 02-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Banned

My 98 did that when the injector pump gave up the ghost. I would run fine up to about 55 or so as long as it wasn't under a load. When I put th pedal to it, it would buck and stutter until it clawed it's way to higher RPM, then I guess it would kick whatever stuck loose and run OK. But, I couldn't run around everywhere at 70 MPH....<br><br>So when I took it in and told them it was the lift pump, I was very surprised to find the lift pump was fine - it was the injection pump! Replaced under warranty and it's been fine since. Still on the original lift pump, too, at 75000 miles.<br><br>Sure hope it's not your injection pump, though. I guess they're like $1600 or so!
Old 02-04-2003, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=voidisactive link=board=4;threadid=10488;start=0#100200 date=1044331696]<br>Hi I just purchased a 1998 dodge ram with a 24 valve cummins and I have noticed that quite often the truck is hard to accelerate after 2000 rpms. It kinda feels like the truck is bucking or fuel cutting. Has anyone else ever seen this problem. The truck has 62000 miles on it, and I'm not sure what would cause it. I checked the fuel filter and it did not look to bad, so I am sort of lost.<br><br>Thanks<br>Matt<br>[/quote]<br>Sounds like the lift pump, Does the truck have extended warranty!!! If it does your in luck. I hate to say this but take it to the dealer. <br><br>If not, go to cummins to get one.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:25 AM

Depending on your inservice date your truck should still be covered under the 5 year 100K mile warranty. Take it to the dealer and state what your problem is. It sounds like either a bad lift pump or injection pump. You want this problem in writing on a service order and don't except any can't dupuicate problem answers!!! If it ends up being the injection pump and they mess you around until your out of warranty it will cost you a couple of thousand $$$. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I bought an extended warranty since it was used but I don't think this part was covered since it was a drivetrain/engine warranty. I read that you can do a fuel pressure test to see if the lift pump is going south, and if thats the case sounds like a rough weekend of wrenching in the snow. Anyone know what the price of the lift pumps are, and if there are any websites you can go to purchase them? <br><br>Thanks again<br>Matt
Old 02-04-2003, 04:42 PM

Matt,<br>Having the lift pump go South is not unusual on these trucks. I've heard of them going at less than 30K and lasting in excess of 100K. But, as has already been mentioned it is covered under your truck warrantee to 100K, whether it is the lift pump or injection pump. Good luck, Stan
Old 02-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Administrator

[quote author=voidisactive link=board=4;threadid=10488;start=0#100522 date=1044397681]
Thanks for the info guys! I bought an extended warranty since it was used but I don't think this part was covered since it was a drivetrain/engine warranty. Thanks again
Matt
[/quote]

It is covered under the original drivetrain/engine warranty, as it is part of the engine, it should be covered under an extended drivetrain/engine warranty.
I'd double check your paperwork.

If not, Cummins would be the best place to get one, pricewise and the latest incarnation.

phox
Old 02-04-2003, 08:28 PM

That would suck if it was the fuel injection pump, 1600 dollars would really set me back, cross my fingers its the fuel transfer (lift) pump.<br><br>Matt
Old 02-04-2003, 09:22 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The injector pump is covered under the 100,000 mile warranty that came with the truck.<br>98 pumps were know to fail just like what you are describing. Has the engine light come on at all?<br>If it has, then there will be some codes too.<br>Dealer whould help.<br>I had four failed pumps on my 98...VP-44's
Old 02-04-2003, 10:40 PM

Actually I have no engine codes, and when I did the system check there where no stored codes so I don't know what the deal is. I'm hoping for the best though, but I was thinking since its a 1998 that warranty is probably void. So hopefully the 24,000 2 year extended warranty I bought will be good for this.<br><br>Matt
Old 02-05-2003, 04:58 PM
Administrator

[quote author=voidisactive link=board=4;threadid=10488;start=0#100736 date=1044420026]<br>Actually I have no engine codes, and when I did the system check there where no stored codes so I don't know what the deal is. [/quote]<br><br>When my VP44 went south, I didn't throw any codes either.<br>Dealer had to have it bench tested to find out it was bad.<br>Lift pump was and still is just fine.<br><br>This was at 4,000 miles so it was definately covered under warranty.<br><br>Mine had a &quot;surging&quot; (the magic warranty word) at idle, whether engine was warm or cold. No discernable problems at higher RPM's.<br><br>I'm not sure what they warrantied the Cummins stuff for back in 99, but my 2002 has a 5 year/100,000 on the engine and related components (including fuel pump, injection pump, injectors, oil pump, etc). <br>Most of the rest of the truck falls under a 3 year/36,000 mile.<br><br>Good luck.<br>phox
Old 02-07-2003, 02:19 PM

Things getting more serious now...<br><br>Ok guys this problem became really bad today, as it was below zero in Colorado today before I went to work. It started up just great and I let it warm up for about 15 minutes. Once I started heading to work it drove fine for about 5 minutes then it acted really weird. All of the sudden at about 50 mph and 1.5 rpm the motor gave up all hope of accelerating. It would not accelerate any more and I was having a very hard time keeping the rpm's up. As I was heading towards the gates I was losing constant power and could not go any faster. Once I got past the gates and went into the parking lot it was all my truck could do to coast at 5 mph to park. Notice this problem did not occur until the engine actually started warming up. While it was cold it was fine, but once the temperature gauge started rising the engine started dying. I'm a bit concerned about getting it home tonight, because when I parked the **** thing died on me, which would put me SOL.<br><br>Thanks<br>Any Feedback is Welcome<br>Matt
Old 02-07-2003, 09:40 PM

Void...check the date of manufacture on the door. Mine is a '98 and still under warranty until August of this year. Sure sounds like a lift pump. Had to replace my lift pump at less than 50k. Hope you can get from work to the shop with it.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:47 PM

You may have waxed the filter . Have you been adding an antigel additive to it? You should try to fuel at a reputable place if at all possible. You should also check to make sure the fuel heater is working . If I am not mistaken the heater is located in the filter housing and should feel warm to the touch after its been idling for 10 to 15 minutes or so. I know that if you waxed the filter before it will give you grief as it never cleans itself totally even after putting additives in the tank.<br><br><br>Good Luck<br><br><br>Jason :

Quick Reply: Diesel bucks or hard to accelerate @ 2000+ rpm