24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Did Something Stupid & Now Its Dead... Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did Something Stupid & Now Its Dead... Help?

Hello all and thanks for having me on this board!
I wish my first post was more festive but.....

Here is what happened yesterday and if anyone can help identify what the problem is (other than user error lol), I will thank you 1000 times over!

I have a 2001 2500 2w/d 5.9 Cummins diesel with about 210,000 miles on it. It had been running fine with no indications of anything wrong with it.

I knew I was very low on gas and was planning the next stop to get filled up but, pulled into the Lowes parking lot first and the engine shut off and I coasted a little bit into a parking spot. I assumed I ran the tank dry. (when I say it shut off, it literally died like the key had been turned & there was no chugging or sputtering at all)
I got about 1/2 gallon of diesel fuel, put it in the tank & tried to fire it up. It turned over 10-15 times before it started and I let it run for another 30 seconds and started to drive home but, made it only about 100 yards before it sputtered and quit.

I ended up putting about 2 more gallons in the tank and tried to start it until I could notice it was cranking slower (batteries) so, I stopped.

My guess (wishful thinking) is a fuel filter. Upon reading this board, I am not so sure anymore. I have seen ppl comment on similar situations by suggesting it may be the batteries, pump relay fuse, fuel pump and a few others.

I am hoping someone might know if it is a quick fix or if my stupidity will cost me dearly?
Note: I have a code reader but, have not hooked it up yet.

Thank you!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 AM

Sounds like you just have air in the lines to me but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in here shortly. Maybe crack an injector line or two and crank a little more? Thats what I did when I installed my new fuel pump. Cracked the line, start cranking, then when fuel starts shooting out tighten her up and it started. If you haven't changed the fuel filter in awhile you might just go ahead and do it so you know its not that.

Oh and you don't need a code reader with that particular year...just get in the truck and turn the key on, off, on, off, then on (you're not trying to start truck just putting key in "on" position) then any codes will show up where your odometer is. Post back with any codes you find and we'll tell you what they mean
Old 03-02-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
change your fuel filter and fill the canister with fresh fuel before you put the lid on and bump the starter to run the pump crack a injector line and let the air out do that a couple of times then try to start it
Old 03-02-2012, 10:36 AM

Hoping it will work but.....

Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder
change your fuel filter and fill the canister with fresh fuel before you put the lid on and bump the starter to run the pump crack a injector line and let the air out do that a couple of times then try to start it
I will try that but..... I have to admit that I am not sure what you mean exactly with "bump the starter" and I am new to diesels and trucks for that matter and not sure where or how I "crack an injector line?"
Thanks to both of you for the help btw.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Just a tip but keep your tank above 1/4. Pretend that is empty from now on. Your injection pump cycles bypassed fuel back to the pump to act as a coolant for the pump. When you run your tank down you are putting added heat to the pump and looking at a $2000 bill to r/r. The more fuel to exchange the better, especially where its a hotter region.

The injector lines run along the top drivers side of the engine at the base of the valve cover. The enter at the at the base of the valve cover and take a 3/4" wrench. There are six, evenly spaced. Turn the 2nd and 4th one towards the front of the truck about 1/2 turn or a little more, but that is usually enough. Get in a crank er till she starts, not cranking for more than 20 seconds at a time or you will need a starter too. Once it starts, it'll be rough at first, get out and snug up the two injector lines you cracked and look for leaks. Don't crank em down, just snug 'em.

Then go fill it up and don't go under 1/4 tank again. Its cheaper to spend the money on fuel than waste an afternoon!
Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might be your lift pump too. Check you fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the VP-44.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:50 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by DallasDodge2500
not sure what you mean exactly with "bump the starter"
Bumping the starter is just touching the starter but not starting the truck, this starts the LP fuel pump for 25 seconds, do this 2-3 times to bleed the fuel to the filter and fill it and to the HP pump but this will not bleed fuel from the HP pump to the injectors, you must crank the engine with a couple of lines cracked as Dieselbuiler suggested.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:44 PM

THANK YOU!!!

Thank you to all who chimed in w/ your advice!
My batteries were about drained when I got to the truck today so, I tried to jump start it w my dad's car but, no dice. I pulled the batteries out & took them home to charge for 3 hours, went back and cranked it 4 times at about 15 seconds each time and it started!
I saw a bunch of dirt/crud on the bottom of the fuel filter housing and cleaned it out. The air filter was a mess as well.

Anyway, thanks again because, there is no way I could have had it running again that fast w/o your help.

-jim
Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by DallasDodge2500
THANK YOU!!!

Thank you to all who chimed in w/ your advice!
My batteries were about drained when I got to the truck today so, I tried to jump start it w my dad's car but, no dice. I pulled the batteries out & took them home to charge for 3 hours, went back and cranked it 4 times at about 15 seconds each time and it started!
I saw a bunch of dirt/crud on the bottom of the fuel filter housing and cleaned it out. The air filter was a mess as well.

Anyway, thanks again because, there is no way I could have had it running again that fast w/o your help.

-jim
Sweet! Now scour the postings to find out what kind of mess you have gotten yourself into by going with a Dodge Cummins!!

Just kidding. I really like my truck, its just kind of "needy".