24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Death wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the pee poor braking system.

Mine did it ever since i bought it oh about 20-30k miles ago. Replaced the rotors and pads and it was fine for a few thousand miles then started doing it again. Suspicion that something else was wrong. Took it to a shop next time and they insisted it was warped rotors and shot pads.. so they resurfaced the rotors and put on new pads.. Good for a few more months. Then it happened again. Ive just learnt to deal with it.

Most likely going to be a stuck caliper that has caused excessive wear. If you just resurface/replace rotors chances are youll get it again.

Mine goes the opposite way of yours, i hold my steering wheel at about 3 o clock while braking to keep straight.

Seeing how ive had the problem then it goes away and comes back a few thousand miles later, and all i havent replaced yet is the calipers, leaves very little left.!

Oh, and i just went from stock to 285 to 315 tires and it got worse along the way every time.. so im not blaming the tires or the lift, because its been progressive.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i got the tires/brakes off, found excessive grease from the driver's side bearing seeping out, read up that its from excessive heat from the bearing, so i bought a new bearing....330 bucks from dodge...sigh also got a new driver's side caliper, since I'm sure its sticking since it does pull so much to the right.

but thats just hte start of my problems on this project.

the passenger side axle nut will NOT come off, I've broken 2 Craftsman ratchets, and it still won't budge, and i don't have an impact....

I got a punch and a hammer and punched out the wheel studs out of the driver's side rotor, got the new bearing out and started putting the new studs in, got them started, then realized that they are not going in with my punch and an 8lb sledge....I've replaced studs before none of them were nearly as hard as these, so now...I have to wait til monday after work and take it to a brake shop to have them press them In i suppose, still don't know how I'm going to take off the passenger side since the axle nut is basically stuck on, really wish I knew who put that on, seems like they put their impact on the highest setting, and just let it pound it on repeatedly, sigh, guess they have no sense of torquing something correctly.

But other than that the caliper fit fine, I know the rotors are right, I also bought new pads ceramic hope they last as good as the other ones did, still half pad and i've had them on their for almost 2 years, but i figured since the rotors are a little bad they might be somewhat warped too, the old pads were carbon metallic, something i wish I'd bought again, o well ceramic might work well ( I used to work at an autoparts store)

So anyone else have any idea's on how i could maybe get this done tomorrow? I doubt I can find any shop open tomorrow ( sunday) and i'm trying to get ahold of a friend to borrow his air compressor and impact so i can get the passenger axle nut off, but for now its just sitting halfway in the garage, so i can't shut the door since it doesn't have any front wheels! Oh well, last time i try and do rotors on this thing :P
Old 03-20-2007, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well finally got everything installed, took rotors to a shop and had them press the studs in, i guess they just hammered, them, guess my hammer wasn't big enough o well, glad its all on, truck stops straight, and i have no more wheel shimmy, rotors feel great, couldn't be happier except for the $500 i spent on all the parts including the wheel bearing. but now that its all done,

anyone know of a cheaper way to get a wheel bearing? my other one will need replacing sometime down the road and not looking forward to the 300 bucks dodge wants for it, because no auto parts store can get it around here, only the rotors no bearing, anyways thanks for the input prior, now i can bomb the truck with go fast goodies again!