24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer recommends replacing Lift Pump AND IP pump on Cummins with 33K...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
don't trust the dealers 0216 can be caused by many things and low fuel pressure can be one but if it has a 0216 code that keeps coming back then more then likely its time fore a new one . I had a truck that got the p0216 code at 60k and the pump died at 100k.
AND! the dealer sees $$$$$ , both pumps can be changed in under 4 hrs and you can find the parts a lot cheaper! I would tell him to find another tech.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know how someone can blame a person for not putting on a FP guage,

think for instance, like in my case I never had a reason to think anything was wrong with the design of our IP and LP, only when I decided to make mods to my truck did i start going on forums like this one, and saw the need for FP guages. this was 2 years ago, until that my truck was trouble free, except for a bent wastegate actuator.

my point is like other people have said, maybe the dealer should have done a recall and offer to install a Fp guage or something even the idiot light, would help and keep alot of people from bitching about the VP's causing some to go to extremes like buying a Ford (personally i'd rather ride a 10 speed)
Old 11-09-2009, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by mountainman
Good for you pal - happy trails then. Here is hoping that you don't ever slip on a banana peel and knock your head on a concrete only to be told by a passer by like yourself that it's your own **** fault for not wearing cleats!!!!

Not helpful AND arrogant... hmmm
Just saying - take some initiative .
Old 11-09-2009, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeRamdiese01
I dont know how someone can blame a person for not putting on a FP guage,

think for instance, like in my case I never had a reason to think anything was wrong with the design of our IP and LP, only when I decided to make mods to my truck did i start going on forums like this one, and saw the need for FP guages. this was 2 years ago, until that my truck was trouble free, except for a bent wastegate actuator.

my point is like other people have said, maybe the dealer should have done a recall and offer to install a Fp guage or something even the idiot light, would help and keep alot of people from bitching about the VP's causing some to go to extremes like buying a Ford (personally i'd rather ride a 10 speed)
These trucks have been around for many years now - and its also been common knowledge for many years now that second generation 24Vs need a fuel pressure guage. JasonblkZ06 has not been arrogant or "not helpful" as Mountain Man said - he speaks the truth and is correct, however blunt he may be.

Dealers arent going to do a recall for a fuel pressure guage - recalls are only done on SAFETY related items. If a dealer or DC for that matter did a recall for every little thing that is wrong with these trucks (or any other vehicle) - they would have been out of business many years ago.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
These trucks have been around for many years now - and its also been common knowledge for many years now that second generation 24Vs need a fuel pressure guage. JasonblkZ06 has not been arrogant or "not helpful" as Mountain Man said - he speaks the truth and is correct, however blunt he may be.

Dealers arent going to do a recall for a fuel pressure guage - recalls are only done on SAFETY related items. If a dealer or DC for that matter did a recall for every little thing that is wrong with these trucks (or any other vehicle) - they would have been out of business many years ago.
That is not 100% true, they do recalls all the time on issues that are not safety. DC did not need to install a gage but adding a warning light would have been good enough and not grossly expensive.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:45 AM

They aren't fixing our dashes, front end problems, and brakes. So they are not going to do anything about lift pumps, fuel pressure gauges etc.

Step 1 - Install fuel pressure gauge
Step 2 - Install FASS or Airdog replacement lift pump
Step 3 - Add 2 stroke oil to fuel every fill-up.
Step 4 - Drive and enjoy truck.

It isn't hard guys. I am not trying to be rude, just making a point that this has been known for years and years yet people still do not do it and wonder why their VP44 pumps fail.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
That is not 100% true, they do recalls all the time on issues that are not safety.
There is a big differece between a recall and a TSB (technical service bulletin) - recalls, in most cases involve safety related items. Whereas TSB's are more related to customer satisfaction.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mountainman
Has filing a class action suit against Cummins, Bosh or Chrysler ever been discussed on this forum!? It just seems appalling to me that such vital (and very expensive) components should have such a high failure rate and so early in their service life.....

I have an MB 1985 300D with 208K and the IP is still original and still ticking (thank God)... On these Cummins engines 33K, 40K, even 100K, 200K - that should be nothing to achieve trouble free - seems to me that this is a kind of built-in obsolescence that we as consumers should not tolerate... It makes me mad.
With regards to this, I think its the pressure from the government to meet more stringent emissions regulations. Shoot take a look at the 1st gen and 12v second gen dodges, all mechanical pumps and those puppies would last hundreds of thousands of miles. True the kdp issue and shutdown solenoid were issues of the 12v but really thats nothing like the vp44 pump. Take, for example, the old DT466 motors, rock solid. We have an old dump truck with one, all mechanical, fool proof. The new DTE466's, trying to meet regulations and play with electronically controlled pumps and timing, they've been showing signs of premature failures similar to what we're experiencing. On top of that, they take a motor that could get upwards of 20mpg and put so much crap on it to make it cleaner burning, that they have to burn twice as much fuel to keep the same power levels. That doesn't help the fuel prices or arguably more importantly, longevity of the motors. Don't you just love groups like EPA and other stringent government regulations? Sorry for the rant. And good luck with the truck, you're not at fault.
TNutcher
Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by TNutcher
With regards to this, I think its the pressure from the government to meet more stringent emissions regulations. Shoot take a look at the 1st gen and 12v second gen dodges, all mechanical pumps and those puppies would last hundreds of thousands of miles. True the kdp issue and shutdown solenoid were issues of the 12v but really thats nothing like the vp44 pump. Take, for example, the old DT466 motors, rock solid. We have an old dump truck with one, all mechanical, fool proof. The new DTE466's, trying to meet regulations and play with electronically controlled pumps and timing, they've been showing signs of premature failures similar to what we're experiencing. On top of that, they take a motor that could get upwards of 20mpg and put so much crap on it to make it cleaner burning, that they have to burn twice as much fuel to keep the same power levels. That doesn't help the fuel prices or arguably more importantly, longevity of the motors. Don't you just love groups like EPA and other stringent government regulations? Sorry for the rant. And good luck with the truck, you're not at fault.
TNutcher
Basically, when it comes down to it - it is another form of taxation on the citizens and burden on us and companies. No wonder everyone is broke - we are taxed to death on everything and there are tons of hidden taxes that people do not think about such as the costs of new cars, energy costs, tires etc. Look at the tire law that was just passed. Do you think this will do anything to make US tire makers more competitive? No, it will only increase the costs of tires for everyone (another tax).
Old 11-12-2009, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by JasonblkZ06
Look at the tire law that was just passed. Do you think this will do anything to make US tire makers more competitive? No, it will only increase the costs of tires for everyone (another tax).
which tire law is this? I'm not familiar with it or where its from. I do agree though, more money more money.
TNutcher
Old 11-12-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by TNutcher
which tire law is this? I'm not familiar with it or where its from. I do agree though, more money more money.
TNutcher
It wasn't a law, it was a tariff (35% I believe) on Chinese tires. The concern is that Chinese manufacturers are selling so low that US tire companies cannot be competitive. This has happened before when Congress has determined that the companies in question where being subsidized by their governments.

FWIW Harley-Davidson asked for and received a tariff on large bore Japanese motorcycles back in the early '80's saying that the Japanese were "dumping" bikes at unrealistic prices in the US. Harley was in serious trouble at the time and used the breathing space to come back and be a major player in the motorcycle market.

Howard
Old 11-12-2009, 04:40 PM

i got you yeah that will definitely throw up prices. tariffs are a noble idea but horrible economically as proven over and over. Good thing our government understands very little of economic value or economic impact of decisions. Well i suppose we shouldn't throw in too much more on political issues for hijacking the thread... Good discussion though.
TNutcher