24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer recommends replacing Lift Pump AND IP pump on Cummins with 33K...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer recommends replacing Lift Pump AND IP pump on Cummins with 33K...

Folks, this is the situation - I've been the original truck owner since I purchased it new in Colorado. The truck is a 2002 RAM 2500 Turbodiesel with 5 speed manual transmission. I have not been driving the truck a lot - so after over 1 year of it sitting in my garage I've decided to sell the truck to someone who can put it to good use. At the time of sale last month the truck had original 33,000 miles on it and was in mint condition. The new owner drove it to California trouble free.

I just got an email from him tonight - he took it to the local Dodge dealer for a check of something and the dealer recommends replacement of both the Lift Pump AND the Injection Pump!!! They (the dealer) also claimed that there was a code in the computer that I must have reset - not true!

Please take a look at the attached picture of the estimate copy that I got from the buyer.

NOTE: at the time of sale and/or anytime prior to it, the truck did not exhibit any type of trouble - no hesitation, nothing to even suspect there was a hint of trouble. There were never any codes or engine lights ever illuminated, so I'm really suspicious of the dealer making these types of very expensive repair recommendations and needless to say the buyer is upset and no doubt nervous about it. Please send us your comments.

Thanks,
James
Attached Thumbnails Dealer recommends replacing Lift Pump AND IP pump on Cummins with 33K...-dodge-2002-recommended-repairs_partial.jpg  
Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM

The new owner bought a used truck.
I believe the 0216 code is the IP death code.
Did you promise him anything?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 PM

Sold as is. If there was not a check engine light, and he didn't scan it, it is his problem. Also, they say the check engine light was not on, a p0216 should tcause the light, mine did when my injection pump went. I say the guy needs a new lift pump for sure, if not a new IP also. Also the price for the both is super high from the dealer, he could get an aftermarket LP for under 700 installed and a new IP for under 1300 installed I would imagine.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:43 PM

If you sold as is its his.
If you sold for top $$$$ and told him the truck is in perfect condition, how would you feel if it was you?
Dealer prices are too high stock lp under $100, rebuilt IP $1000+.
Labor should be 5-6 hrs for both. Both replaced for under $2000.
If your good name means anything to you,
you could offer to split it with him.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:29 AM
BRO

I think it is a shame that these things happen but it did and it does happen. Buyer be ware is the phrase. If he is challenging you because some dealer told him codes must have been reset prior this. Then he does not trust you or know you that well. He should be looking at the dealer $1200 for a lift pump is criminal.

I think regardless of your selling price if it was an "as is deal" and nothing promised, then you owe him nothing. With that being said, if you can afford to be a good guy and offer assistance any way you can. That is good, but what if he leaves the car lot and punches the throttle and does not have enough pressure going to the injector pump and looses a 2nd one. When does your guilt driven kindness stop or is more help offered? You lost control of the Truck when the other party took it. How they treat the truck you have no input to it.

You are the only one that knows the deal, the truck and the buyer. I think you are the only one that can decide what you should do here. Be firm, fair and business like, it will come to you. Good Luck, BRO
Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 AM

if the truck is not exibiting any drivability issues(no power till engine gets hot or excessive white smoke on start up or dead pedal)
leave the VP alone have the codes cleared, as 0216 can be caused by air in the fuel. replace the LP first then re-check for codes
I definitely would not have the dealer instal anything especially at thoes prices, they are going to want to install the intank pump (which if an 02 you might already have in there any way) I believe the intank pump only puts out 7psi, and the dealer is susposed to do a volume test NOT a psi test

install a Fass or Air dog LP (AD is usually around 500$ w/ lifetime warranty)
you can get a VP virtually anywhere for 1000-1200. and its a 2-3hr job to replace it. lots of venders offer VP & Lift pump packages for less than 1500$

do some home work (which looks like your doing now before jumping in and doing suggested repairs)
Old 11-02-2009, 04:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealership is bending your buyer over. Have him seek a second opinion.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:33 AM

Mountainman, I see you're in Denver. If you want to have the truck fixed by a mechanic let me know. I know a good cummins mech. that I have used before. Good guy, used to be a cummins tech for a dealership, now has his own shop. More than likely will cost a lot less $$$ than the dealership.

Scott
Old 11-02-2009, 07:04 AM

I would have a hard time beleiving it needs a injection pump @ 33k. You say the truck did a lt of sitting, gum & varnish from old fuel can cause problems. My first step would be fresh fuel & a big dose of sea foam or another good fuel system cleaner. Probably would replace the lift pump with something after market (I put the FASS DDRP on mine). For the price the dealer wants for the stock junk you can buy 5 of them!!!!! I wouldn't let the dealership work on my wheel barrow!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Chapter President

look up thorough bred diesel.com i just bough a airdog 2 and vp44 for $1550 there was one option even cheaper then that. i think it was $1440
Old 11-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
I do know this, a LP going bad CAN cause a P0216, it happened to me on buddys 02.

Replaced the LP and the 0216 has never came back.

Typical dealership line, shotgun any part that might be bad.

I would tell the purchaser to order a new block mounted LP for 150 bucks and bolt it on.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:46 AM

If you sold it, and he bought it, with no additional promises the problems become the owner's. not yours.

You mention he purchased the truck in Colorado and drove to California. What else does he want? Maybe a monthly allowance for upcoming tire expense?

This is an example of why dealers sell vehicles at a higher price then individuals. They offer a warranty, as shallow as it may be!

I bought my truck from in individual in Alanta. I drove it to Kansas City. If I called the guy and told him this truck is not working right, I'd be wasting my time and money even expecting him to fix it. I bought it, I didn't rent it!!

In-mature buyers soon learn to do due diligence, and even then they live with their choices.

Relax, go about your day. Let him solve his own problem.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Write him an email that goes like this:

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Your dealer is trying to rip you off. I can help you find cheaper replacement parts.

In the meantime, I'd recommend a high dosage of fuel treatment to ensure that it's not just a fuel quality issue, and changing the fuel filter might be a good idea also.

Sincerely,
Your Name Here

Do not offer to split anything with him. Verbal contracts even can be enforced. While the problem is unfortunate, it's not yours. You had no idea anything was wrong. Obviously, the seller didn't either.

JH
Old 11-02-2009, 09:15 AM

Unbelievable...

Originally Posted by STATELINE
I would have a hard time beleiving it needs a injection pump @ 33k.
That's what I mean - why would there be an IP failure at this low mileage. Plus, I know the maintenance history of my truck and my attitude towards it from the beginning: nothing but good diesel fuel with frequent Power Service additives (at least once a month), plus mild mannered driving - always being mindful of the warm up times, and watching the tech - those things I observe strictly on all of my diesels. So how can a gently driven truck with such low miles develop an IP failure?! The truck did not exhibit any smoking, stalling, or hesitation, ever. I don't believe it there is a problem with the IP.

I'm going to recommend to the buyer that he replace the LP with an after market one and disregard the alleged IP failure code.

Thanks for all your comments -
Old 11-02-2009, 09:16 AM

Truck's in Cali...

Originally Posted by STate
Mountainman, I see you're in Denver. Scott
Thanks Scott - I'm in Denver, but the truck is now in Sacramento, CA.... Thx anyway -

Quick Reply: Dealer recommends replacing Lift Pump AND IP pump on Cummins with 33K...