24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer RE-Flash

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer RE-Flash

Before I realized I needed a boost fooler I took my truck(2001.5 HO) to the dealer (back in 2001) and had them put it on their computer. They said they found nothing wrong with it but....they reflashed my computer to put everything in it fresh. Truck never ran the same since. Close but not the same. And now it constantly throws P-0236 code. Is it even possible they re-flashed my computer with a non-HO program or even a earlier program with the different map sensor? I bought a Hypertech PP3 and it finds the stock program for a 2000 Dodge cummins, which is what is making me come up with this theory.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:26 PM

My hypertech says the same thing
Old 03-14-2004, 07:50 PM

Trashdawg do you also constantly throw that p 0236 code?
Thank you for replying,
John
Old 03-15-2004, 09:41 PM

I too am suspicious of a reflash. I had the VP44 replaced under warranty about 1,000 miles ago and my truck hasn't been the same since. How would a guy find out what program his rig is running? And how would the same guy know if the dealer screwed up?
Old 03-15-2004, 11:22 PM

How long have you had the injectors? Do you have gauges (EGT, boost)? By what I see here I would bet your EGT are very high. There are a couple of things I see going on. The combination you have is spooling up the turbo past the 21 psi limit in the stock ECM program and that is what is setting your codes. You are adding extra fuel and a programmer without a boost fooler and boost elbow or some device (turbo master) to help raise the boost. With those injectors you need more air and a boost fooler and a way to raise the boost would help. At WOT you should be seeing at least 35+ psi boost. If you don’t have gauges you are flirting with cooking your engine (you need to get off the go pedal when you get above 1300 degf). With those injectors I would at least have an Edge EZ or something like it, that has a boost fooler built in. You will see a big difference when you get it set up right. I have stock injectors and I hit 28 psi easy.
The tuners like the Hyper Tech and Superchips are only good for motors with stock injectors because of the lack of a boost fooler.
Good Luck
Old 03-19-2004, 09:27 PM

billg,
I apologize for my lack of maintenance on my sig. Boost fooler&elbow installed. Guages there too. I looked at the fueling boxes and looked at who wasn't getting any mileage out of their injection pumps. Therefore I've tried to avoid removing those void stickers. I do get plenty of smoke and there is definetly a improvement with the boost fooler installed. but still at 22lbs. and beyond the smoke disaappears and the code reappears. (BTW:you hit it on the head 34&1/2 lbs. boost) I just wondered why my hypertech read it as a 2000 when a eth didn't even exist then. I would have thought they had two different programs. I know the 2000 has a different MAP sensor then my 2001.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:27 PM

billg,
I apologize for my lack of maintenance on my sig. Boost fooler&elbow installed. Guages there too. I looked at the fueling boxes and looked at who wasn't getting any mileage out of their injection pumps. Therefore I've tried to avoid removing those void stickers. I do get plenty of smoke and there is definetly a improvement with the boost fooler installed. but still at 22lbs. and beyond the smoke disaappears and the code reappears. (BTW:you hit it on the head 34&1/2 lbs. boost) I just wondered why my hypertech read it as a 2000 when a eth didn't even exist then. I would have thought they had two different programs. I know the 2000 has a different MAP sensor then my 2001.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:51 PM

When you took your truck to the shop did you still have the Hypertech program in the truck? If so they most likely screwed up the program during the flash.
With the smoke disappearing at 22psi, sounds like the ECM is defueling the truck. It will do that if the boost fooler is not working correctly. I would check that real close. What kind of boost fooler do you have? If you know someone with an EZ or something with a boost fooler built in see if you can borrow it for a test drive and see if that clears up the problem. But be careful those things are addictive. It definitely looks as if the boost fooler is not fooling the ECM.
With the tuner and injectors you are probably doing close to the same thing as the EZ. The main difference is the EZ has a boost fooler built in. The EZ was made for towing and it doesn’t tap the Vp44 wire like the comp.
Good Luck and keep us posted on what you find.