24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer installed in-tank pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer installed in-tank pump

My local dealer is going to voluntarilly install an in-tank pusher pump tomorrow. I was curious what kind of pump it is, how much better is it compared to the older LP, and is the dealer doing me a favor?

Karl
Old 04-10-2006, 12:50 PM

I installed mine in last fall, I don't know what make the pump is, however it should perform better than the engine mounted lift pump since its lifespan should be superior. Mine runs between 9psi at idle, down to 6-7psi wot. Most on this site would say that 6psi is too low, that is apparently the bottom spec for feed pressure to the VP44. I have ordered a Holley Red 7ps1 pump and intent to put it inline. I don't know if the dealer is doing a favor, most would put the money toward a FASS first rather than any other arrangement, I found out about the FASS too late or else I would have gone that route as well. If the in-tank pump is free, I would probably go in-tank. As much as some complain about the future prosepect tank removal if the in-tank pump fails, it is actually rather easy, had mine off and on in about 4 hours half full of fuel. I used a couple ratchet straps to lower and raise the tank, didn't even have to jack up the truck to skid the tank out, hardest part was getting the big plastic nut off the tank to remove the unit.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:01 PM

The truck is actually going in for what I think is a dead pedal APPS problem. They will go ahead and trouble shoot the warning lights and repalce the pusher pump and maybe the injector pump if it test bad. Thank God for warranty....
Old 04-10-2006, 06:28 PM

All lift pump replacements from the dealer are now in tank pumps. I don't think you can even get the old style pumps from the dealer anymore.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by krazykarl
The truck is actually going in for what I think is a dead pedal APPS problem. They will go ahead and trouble shoot the warning lights and repalce the pusher pump and maybe the injector pump if it test bad. Thank God for warranty....
What kind of truck you driving??? Fill out the signature please.

Dave
Old 04-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CoastalDav
What kind of truck you driving??? Fill out the signature please.

Dave
Sig's only show up in the first post on the page,
scroll upwards and you'll see it.

phox
Old 04-13-2006, 08:35 AM

Just got back the truck today and the dealer replaced the APPS under warranty. They did not replace the lift pump or the injector pump as both tested out OK.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:12 AM

I recently had my LP and Injection pump replaced under warranty, how can I tell if they put the in tank pusher pump?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:51 AM

Your old pump was in the engine comp. drivers side under the fuel filter canister. If you got the in tank pump installed the old one should be MIA.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:59 AM

Replaced under Warranty?

How in the heck did you get the dealer to replace your APPS under warranty with a 2001 truck? I just had to replace mine in my 2002 and it cost me about $450 dollars. I also complained to Dodge about all the problems they have had with the apps. They recently called back to say, "Sorry Charlie. Your truck is out of warranty and they have received no recalls or manufacturers notices of defect." You are a lucky man.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by krazykarl
Just got back the truck today and the dealer replaced the APPS under warranty. They did not replace the lift pump or the injector pump as both tested out OK.
Karl, youre lucky they didnt put the intank pump in - they are junk. Lots of guys that have had them installed are taking them out.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:05 PM

I was talking to a friend of mine a couple months ago, he is a Cummins mechanic and he told me that Dodge doesn't replace the lift pumps anymore and that they only put in the in-tank ones. He didn't say too much about that but did say that when I needed a replacement pump to come to the Cummins dealer and get an up-graded lift pump. He said the trouble with the old ones was the bushings and as the pump got older they wore and to a point that the pump failed. The new one he said won't do that. I guess we will see in the future.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Karl, youre lucky they didnt put the intank pump in - they are junk. Lots of guys that have had them installed are taking them out.
Dr. Evil,

I do consider myself lucky about retaining the older lift pump after doing some research on the in-tank "upgrade". The APPS has been acting up a few times and I am glad that it has been replaced under warranty.