24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dana vs AAM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:11 AM

Location: kandahar afghanistan for awhile, normally Tri-Cities Wa.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JAX
The Dana corporation was actually called (It may still be named this) The Dana Spicer Corporation. And when it was first formed, it's parent company was the Chrysler Corporation. That is why GM and Ford went with there own axles earlier than Dodge did. GM went with what they call the Corp. series (The 10 bolt front end, and the 14 bolt rear ends in full & semi float versions). These axles were built in house by AAM which is now, as we all know, a private company. Ford started using thier "Sterling" rear axle in the 90's to get away from the Dana axles as well. I just can't understand why they are still using the Dana 60 front in the super duty's.
Your right on "Dana Spicer", I just left off the spicer. Not familiar with dana spicer being part of the chrysler corporation early on though. Just New Process, aka: NVG.

I think the main problem with the dana 70 failing in the dodges is that they were pulling way more weight then they were designed to. I've seen lots of dana 70's in older ford and dodge trucks that hauled lots of weight with no problems. They just didnt do it at 70 mph up hill like the cummins could do.

The jeep grand cherokee dana 44 had an aluminum gear housing. Who the heck's idea was that? No wonder they failed.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:18 PM

The way I heard it with relation to the issues with Dana and Jeep gear whine was that Dana was moving plant locations. All of the older experienced machinist didn't want to move so they retired, that left Dana with only its young apprentices. So, instead of hiring new experienced machinists Dana used the apprentices with poor results...

Just my 0.04 cents worth (inflation you know)
Old 01-24-2006, 01:16 PM

I know quite a bit about Chrysler history. I have never known Spicer to be owned by them. I own a 1947 ****** CJ2A Jeep that is restored and when I bought it was 99% original and it is equipped with Spicer axles and a spicer transfer case. Chrysler on the other hand acquired New Process gear in the 30s and they made most all of their manual transmissions and later their transfer cases. Chrysler had used Dana axles on their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks in the rear and the front end if it was a 4X4 even on 1/2 ton models for years. Dana has retained the contract for the new upcoming Wrangler. Remember the fellow that is the CEO of AAM is Richard Dauch who was the former Vice President of manufacturing for the former Chrysler Corporation. That might shed a bit more light on why they use more AAM products now also.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fredw
just installed an aam in my duramax, so far so good, cost was around 600 dollars installed... hope they last like the dana
You changed yer mind about the dana 80 then ?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:40 PM
JAX

Originally Posted by scook6
I know quite a bit about Chrysler history. I have never known Spicer to be owned by them. I own a 1947 ****** CJ2A Jeep that is restored and when I bought it was 99% original and it is equipped with Spicer axles and a spicer transfer case. Chrysler on the other hand acquired New Process gear in the 30s and they made most all of their manual transmissions and later their transfer cases. Chrysler had used Dana axles on their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks in the rear and the front end if it was a 4X4 even on 1/2 ton models for years. Dana has retained the contract for the new upcoming Wrangler. Remember the fellow that is the CEO of AAM is Richard Dauch who was the former Vice President of manufacturing for the former Chrysler Corporation. That might shed a bit more light on why they use more AAM products now also.
I am almost positive that Chrysler was the parent company of Dana Spicer. I could be mistaken, but I highly doubt it. One of my good friends back in Sacramento owns Driveline Service, and he is an exclusive Dana Rep. I've been doing business with him for over 20 years, and he knows the Dana Spicer history probably as well as anyone in thier right mind should. Not to be argumentative Scook, but just because the axles on your *****'s are the original axles, and are Dana axles doesn't really mean anything as to the history of Dana Spicer. Dana Axles have showed up in the front end of almost every 4WD vehicle from the 1960's, possibly earlier. I am not saying that because Chrysler owned Dana that it was an exclusive relationship, not at all. I just think that maybe the Chrysler Corp. saw a need for axles that needed to be filled, so they might have started Dana out of that neccessity.

On another note, your old *****'s. Was that an original Jeep product, or did Ford still have the *****'s contract in 1947. I can't remember when *****'s went from Ford to Jeep, but I do know that Ford made *****'s for the Army.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:33 PM

Ok let me clarify a couple of things. First, Ford never owned or had anything to do with the ****** Overland Company, the maker of Jeeps. The military needed a second supplier for MB model military Jeeps during WW2 and Ford manufactured the ****** design. ****** started civilian Jeep production in late 1945. Second, Chrysler never owned Spicer or Dana. Spicer was a supplier to ****** Overland in 1947 and yes these axles were original equipment. Jeeps were and still are made in the great city of Toledo, Ohio and the factory where mine was assembled still exists and still makes parts for Jeeps although its days appear to be numbered as they have a brand new assembly plant near there that will house all North American Jeep production except for Grand Cherokee and Commanders they are made at the Jefferson North plant in Detroit. Chrysler did and still does manufacture their own axles for most of their rear drive products. These are variations of axles that they have made for years and are not or ever have been Dana designs. Dana supplied H/D axles for their muscle cars and alot of their trucks.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:53 PM
JAX

Scook, you are correct about the history of the Dana Spicer corporation. I went to thier website and researched thier history quite a bit. It turns out the company was started way back in like 1904 or something. As you stated, it never has been any part of the Chrysler corporation. I stand corrected.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:56 AM

Jax, thanks for your post.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:28 PM
JAX

You're welcome my friend, you earned it!
Old 01-31-2006, 05:33 PM

Question

I noticed that Dana stock went down, so I wonder if losing the Dodge contract had something to do with that as well.
Also, it seemed that Ford was using Dana on the PS 7.3 trucks. Was that true?
Do they still use the Dana?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:30 PM

SRW Ford Super Duties ran a Dana 50 in front, the Duallies and 02+ have Dana 60's
Old 01-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by supr
Also, it seemed that Ford was using Dana on the PS 7.3 trucks. Was that true?
Do they still use the Dana?
Only in fronts... They have had their own rear axle for quit a while.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:29 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by displacedtexan
Only in fronts... They have had their own rear axle for quit a while.
F250 & F350 use the Ford rear axle. F450 uses the Dana 80, and the F550 uses a bigger Dana (135, I think.)
Old 01-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by torquefan
F250 & F350 use the Ford rear axle. F450 uses the Dana 80, and the F550 uses a bigger Dana (135, I think.)
I stand corrected... But reading your post I'm pretty sure I should have known that. Oh well.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes the management and sales departments of these companies have the final say over the engineering staff, on what is sold. Dana may be a victom of this. Look at all the Dana 44 failures Nissan is having with the Titan. It's the wrong axle for that application, in my opinion.