24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dana 80 Yoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dana 80 Yoke

Howdy Folks,

A while back when I droped my driveshaft on the interstate my axle yoke was screwed in the process somehow. Fast forwarding to now, I have a new yoke, but it does not slide on the splines very well. The splines look fine on both the pinion and the new yoke. The old yoke came off just fine but it was kinda of tight sliding off. I put the yoke on and was able to push it down with the nut, but I was really cranking on the sucker with my breaker bar. I have setup and worked on alot of axles, specially D44s and D60s, and I have never seen a yoke this tight. However, this is my first Dana 80 experience.

Opinions?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:06 AM

Bueller...
Old 08-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This info is coming right from a Dana/Spicer dealer :

There can potentially be two different types of pinion splines and the yokes are not regarded as interchangable between the two. One type is an interference (slightly) fit with a slightly different shaped spline the other is not. To the best of my knowledge, all 2nd gen Dana axles did not use the interference fit style splined yokes and it does appear to be somewhat unusual on most Dana applications that I have come across. I would double check the Dana part # listing for your specific D80 matches the yoke you currently have. The Dana/Spicer dealer does have the listings for all axle parts by OEM application.

Out of curiousity, where did you get the replacement yoke?

Other than damaged splines, this is the only thing I can think of that could cause the yoke to be difficult to install.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:28 PM

Very interesting!!! Thanks for the info. I got the yoke from a local truck shop that builds driveshafts and stuff for me. Soon I will be building my own driveshafts though...

Anyone else have any thoughts?