24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dana 80 rear end possible trouble.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the offer for the puller, I still am not sure if the "chatter" is normal or not but I suspect something is amiss due to the amount of fine metal specs in the oil, canonly imagine at this time what is on the bottom of the pig.

I would like to view a schematic of the rear end parts before I tear into it so I know what I am looking at!

I guess the first thing I will do is get some new oil and drain out the old to inspect.

Thanks all for any input. With the pre-load and tolerances stated in above posts I might have to find someone I can trust to do this as I have no barn or garage to keep everything clean and dust free. I have 13 acres of dirt that I disced up fertilized and planted winter rye back in October and we have had 2 slight rains since.....more money wasted...
Old 01-29-2006, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PKennedy & Jefe...detroit locker vs. LS trac-loc

Ok Fellas,

Jefe...you may be right on the trac loc going out and I may have a carrier bearing out. I took it to Austin Drivetrain and that is their diagnosis without tearing it down.

I have never been happy with my LS performance in the field. many times one wheel would barely turn while the other spun wild trying to pull my wifes 4x2 CTD out of the slick clay here. I now understand that my LS clutches were slipping the whole time, hence why I think over repeated times they are bad. I pull a 25' gooseneck flatbed through muddy pastures hauling hay and equipment and my 20' stock trailer through the same with cattle/horses. I also drive 84 round trip miles each day to work and back on the highway. I now have 198,000 miles on Besse.

PKennedy-how do you like your modified Detroit Locker? How much is it vs having new clutches rebuilt? I have read some other previous posts but need more info. What is the difference if any from a Modified Detroit Locker vs. a Detroit locker?

I can't find my Bill of Material on my axle either. I sanded it down and of course threw out the tag when I first changed diff oil.

Thanks for insight!!