24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily Driver

Now, I know all about the towing capabilities these mothers have. I don't tow anything, though. Why did I buy a Cummins, then? Who knows. Maybe I'm compensating for something. That's another story for another time! Now to my question... Since I don't tow anything or really do anything to put a load on the engine, am I inadvertantly causing undue wear or carbon build up (or anything of the like) in the engine? I run Standyne Performance Formula in every tankful. I have a relatively light foot and run the cruise control set at 65. I'm getting around 18 MPG between the house and work (uphill and downhill to and from). Seems to me I read somewhere on here that it's advisable to periodically run the RPMs up to "get rid of carbon build up." Is this true? If so, please give me some guidance as to how high I should run her up and for how long. Also, are there any special maintenance concerns I should have given that I don't tow? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:42 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Should't have any problems whatsoever. I use mine as a daily driver and have only towed about 8 times since I have owned it. You shouldn't have any problems with carbon or gunk buildup unless you idle the engine too much (more than 10-15 minutes), or not let the engine come up to full operating temperature. Normal temp is 190° F.

You are doing good with the additive, I would add some but I can't get it out here on Guam.

The only maintenance concerns are fuel pressure, I see you are going to be getting a guage soon. Get one as soon as you can. My 01 already has one dead pump. So it can happen to the newer trucks.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:45 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Mine has been a daily driver since I bought it brand new.
I tow a smallish trailer a few times a year.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been daily commuting with mine for 6 yrs. 4 times since I got it I've loaded the back up, never hooked it to a trailer. No problems other then the gremlins of plastic and a fuel pump pair. (lp and vp)
I had noticed a couple of years back after about a month of real mellow driving that I gave it the boot to get into traffic and it crop dusted the people behind me . It ran a little smoother right after, so now when I'm on the onramp and think about it I make the pedal kiss the floor.
I'm real bad about putting in the fuel additive also, about less then half the time I remember to put it in.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:21 AM

Mines got 147,xxx miles. Owner before me said he towed once. The most ive ever put in the back is 3 dirtbikes and gear. No problems whatsoever!
Old 12-14-2005, 12:18 AM

Put some weight in back, like maybe an inch or so of concrete just to be on safe side I heard it smooths out the ride too
Old 12-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Banned

I've been daily driving mine since I bought it in 01. I do occasionally run it up through the rpm's to "burn off the carbon". Mainly it's just to have fun though. Have fun driving your CTD and welcome to the site.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by tenbrooks
Put some weight in back, like maybe an inch or so of concrete just to be on safe side I heard it smooths out the ride too
Thought it was thicker than that? Im considering going for 3", but my bedliner has some holes for the tiedowns id have to seal up first.