24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Couple of questions for wannabe new Dodge owner.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of questions for wannabe new Dodge owner.

Hi, I've been doing some good research on this forum towards getting rid of my 99 Powerjoke and moving into an 01 or 02 Ram. I have a couple questions I can't find the answers to that hopefully you could help with.

1. I understand the 02's had a 7/100k mile warranty on the Cummins. Is that for the rest of the drivetrain as well or just the engine? What about the 00's or 01's? The same or were some of them 5/100k?

2. Where would I look to see if any warranty voiding mods have been performed. Ie. where do the fueling boxes pierce this mysterious wire? Is it usually in one location or can it be in any part of a certain area?

3. Do exhaust mods alone cause any of you to have problems getting engine warranty work done?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:32 PM

My 01 was 5/100K for warranty. Any fueling mods will void the warranty, but I haven't heard of mods to exhaust voiding the warranty.

I just got through with transfer pump warranty 78k
VP-44 fuel injector pump warranty 78K
vp-44 fuel injector pump warranty 80k

Good luck

Magnum
Old 01-20-2004, 04:43 PM

I would expect that any fueling mods would void the warranty and the warranty is very important to me. That's why I'd like to know how to tell if there had been mods done on the truck that may have been removed prior to resale. As I understand, the Edge EZ box doesn't 'tap' a wire. Does this mean there is no way that a dealer (or myself) would be able to tell if a particular truck ever had an edge box? How can you visually tell if the injectors are stock or not?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:51 PM

as for the Edge box...if someone took it off, the only way to see would be if the dealer searched deep into the truck's computer and yes, this could void the warranty...as for injectors, you can not visually tell. if it had big injectors u would feel a more than noticeable difference in power though, maybe drive another one to compare....if your buying from a dealer, tell them to put it in writing that as of when you purchase the truck the warranty will still be in effect as you have no idea of knowing of any past mods...at least this is what i would do...then, after you own it for a month start Bombing it yourself
Old 01-20-2004, 05:12 PM

The wire that gets pierced runs from the pump (top) cover to the center of the pump (back side in the middle of the 6 fuel lines). There are two wires in a black cloth like tube. Give them a good once over to see if the wire jacket has had any kind of tampering.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Banned

I HAVEN'T SEEN A MECHANIC AT A CHYSLER DEALERSHIP YET THAT HAS A CLUE ABOUT INJECTORS,LOCKED DOWN WASTE GATES, OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. IF YOU HAVE HAD A BOX LIKE THE EDGE EZ,RAPTOR,ETC, THEY COULDN'T TELL AS LONG AS IT WASN'T STILL ON IT.IT IS EASY TO JUST UNPLUG THEM, GO GET FIXED, & HOOK BACK UP.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by CAPTDASH
IT IS EASY TO JUST UNPLUG THEM, GO GET FIXED, & HOOK BACK UP.
This statement is absolutely wrong. Any qualified technician will know that you are using a power adder if they take the time to look into the ECM. That does not mean that they will look, but if they do, it is there. Take the chance if you wish, that is your choice. I just don't want anyone to think they can fool the dealer just by unplugging the box.

That is where the statement: "you have to pay to play" comes from.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:45 PM

If you have a cummins dealer near you take the truck there any pay for an hours worth of time. Then take the information to help make your decision. Any owner or dealership that won't go along with that program is prolly hiding something. As stated earlier a dealer should put in writing thast you have the balance of the orig. warranty and that they will stand behind the truck up to this point. This is the agreement I made with the dealership I purchased my 01 from. I also made it a part of the deal that they changed all fluids in the truck Tranny, fuel filter axle's etc..
Old 01-21-2004, 08:17 PM

Just my .02 to toss in to the end of your question about exhaust mods voiding the wrty, while mine was in the shop getting a new APPS sensor installed I talked with the service manager about mods to the exhaust and such, the response was no it would not provided the catalytic (aka resonator) was not removed bypassed or whatever, UNLESS they could possitively identify that the exhaust mod created a condition for the failure.

(In other words that was the green light to put on the stacks as soon as things thaw!!)
Old 01-22-2004, 03:36 PM

wannabe new dodge owner

Having an exhaust system does not void any warranty
Old 01-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: wannabe new dodge owner

Originally posted by PowerstrokeThis
Having an exhaust system does not void any warranty
Except the warranty on the original exhaust.

phox
Old 01-24-2004, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by dakar
it would not provided the catalytic (aka resonator) was not removed bypassed or whatever, UNLESS they could possitively identify that the exhaust mod created a condition for the failure.
The resonator ca be removed, because that's all it does,, resonates. It is completely straight through, and has no other objective but to kill drone.

Cheap exhaust system is a 4.5" Chrome tip, and to remove the muffler, while leaving the resonator. Just like installing a 3.5" straight through exhaust.

Merrick
Old 01-24-2004, 12:14 PM

my idea all along, if your not piercing the wire and just usein a Edge Ez type box. and you just cant wait to b0omb, see if you cant find yourself another ecm, is it a pain? yes. becaues i imagine youd have to change it out a couple times so it has some hours on it, Does the mileage change in the read out if you change the ecm? If not then you have to try and keep that closed to match ( hours to miles) and so on
Old 01-24-2004, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am more interested in the warranty than I am in Bombing at this point. I had a Powerjoke blow its engine about a year ago from Ford's lousy airbox allowing the motor to be dusted. After all the grief I had to go through to get this totally stock engine replaced, and then to get Frod to stand behind the product and not leave me with a $8-12k repair bill, I really am not interested in sacrificing the warranty on the next truck I get. Bomb's will have to wait until the 100k ticks along. I've found two really good 01's that have EZ boxes, so I think I'll pass on them and keep looking. From what I've looked at so far, more have boxes than do not.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Banned

PINETREE, THOSE EZ BOXES ONLY MAKE THE INJECTION PUMP PERFORM AT ITS MAXIMUM DESIGNED PERFORMANCE. THEY WILL NOT HURT YOUR MOTOR. IN FACT THEY HELP IMPROVE POWER & FUEL MILEAGE. THE BOXES THAT PIERCE THE INJECTION PUMP WIRE ARE THE ONES WHICH OVER PERFORM YOUR PUMP. SO KEEP THAT IN MIND. I SEE PLENTY OF OL FARTS OUT HERE WITH THE EZ BOX PULLING THEIR CAMPERS. FINDING A STOCK TRUCK IS GOING TO BE HARD. FOR THE PRICE OF A GOOD ONE, I'D BUY A NEW ONE. I SUGGEST GOING WITH AN 02 OR ABOVE. THE PRE 02'S HAVE REAR DRUM BRAKES, WHICH SUCK, & KILLS YOUR FRONT PADS. THE 02'S HAVE DISC BRAKES ALL AROUND. A BOSCH 275 INJECTOR & EZ BOX IS A GREAT STREET APPLICATION, & THE FUEL EFFICIENCY & PERFORMANCE WILL AMAZE YOU. THE 275'S ARE MADE FOR THIS MOTOR, SO DON'T BE LEARY OF THEM.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions for wannabe new Dodge owner.