24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

could 53 blocks be agravated by cavitation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cavitation, SCAs and the Proper Maintenance of Diesel Engine Cooling Systems

"UNDERSTANDING CAVITATION

In elastic media such as air and in most solids, there is a continuous transition as a sound wave is transmitted. In non-elastic media such as water and in most liquids, there is continuous transition as long as the amplitude or "loudness" of the sound is relatively low. As amplitude is increased, however, the magnitude of the negative pressure in the areas of rarefaction (pockets of low pressure) eventually becomes sufficient to cause the liquid to fracture, causing a phenomenon known as cavitation.

Cavitation bubbles are created at sites of low pressure as the liquid fractures or tears because of the negative pressure of the sound waves in the liquid. As the wave fronts pass, the cavitation bubbles oscillate under the influence of positive pressure, eventually growing to an unstable size. Finally, the violent collapse of the cavitation bubbles results in implosions, which cause shock waves to be radiated from the sites of the collapse. The collapse and implosion of myriad cavitation bubbles throughout an ultrasonically activated liquid result in the effect commonly associated with ultrasonics. It has been calculated that temperatures in excess of 10,000̊F and pressures in excess of 10,000 psi are generated at the implosion sites of cavitation bubbles."

http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/cav...ng_systems.htm
Old 10-15-2006, 08:43 PM
xmr

Yes the thin casting is stressed by the cavitation and a crack forms. the continuing cavitation makes the crack grow. If I had a truck with the #53 I would run evans coolant or something like it that prevents cavitation. Thank goodness that is a probelm that I dont have any more.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:45 PM

Would running the Evans coolant eliminate the problem????

What is involved in converting the truck to Evans..I was to understand that a special coolant pump was nessecary and do I need to install one of their radiators, or can I just replace the regular coolant with Evans.?
Old 10-16-2006, 03:30 PM

Tazman did the Evans conversion and the block still failed. I think if it's going to crack, it will!