24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cooling system question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling system question

On the way home today from work, I had a serpentine belt let go, more like shredded to tiny little pieces. Didn't do any damage but made a real nice mess under the hood.

Normally not a big deal until you realize that the spare under the seat is sitting on the bench at home. My mistake, it happens.

Anyways, I was wondering........

Has anyone ever figured out or found a regular fan belt that could be pulled over the crank pulley and the water pump for emergency instances? I'm not talking about a permanent thing, just something that could be used to get the truck off the highway, or down the road to be repaired properly, etc, etc.

I know, just put the spare on. That's fine, but there are times when you might be stuck somewhere that's not a good time or place and need to move the truck.

The electrical end of it, big deal. The truck will run on the batteries without the alternator for a short time. I'm more concerned with turning the water pump and keeping it from overheating.

I'm going to make some measurements and such just for my own curiousity if anything. I'll hit the local parts house in the next couple of days and investigate it a little more.

Was just curious if anyone else had this pass thru their minds?

Jeff
Old 09-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Banned

I don't understand what you want to pull over the pullies, but chances are if you can pull it over, it's not going to have enough tension to work.
Besides, you should be able to go at least a mile or so w/o it over heating. Just keep an eye on your gauge.
I drove all the way home. It was hot but okay.
Only takes a minute to replace anyway.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:47 PM

Actually, the water pump spins in reverse compared to the crank so it wouldn't work.

Oh well, so much for thinking out loud.

Jeff